Connect with us

Defence and Security

Tinubu to Ribadu: We’ll Defeat Bandits and Terrorists, You’re Doing an Excellent Job

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and NSA, Nuhu Ribadu
Share

President Bola Tinubu on Monday declared that Nigeria would overcome banditry and terrorism, expressing strong confidence in the leadership of Nuhu Ribadu as National Security Adviser (NSA).

The president made the remarks in Yola, the Adamawa State capital, during the inauguration of projects completed by the state government. Addressing dignitaries at the event, Tinubu singled out Ribadu for praise, describing him as “honest, bold, courageous and committed” in coordinating the country’s security operations.

“I must say clearly here that you are doing an excellent job, and we have seen the results,” Tinubu said. “With you, we will defeat the bandits and terrorists. You are a good national security adviser.”

Tinubu added that he was personally proud of Ribadu’s performance and noted that the people of Adamawa State — Ribadu’s home state in Nigeria’s North-East region — also share in that pride.

“I believe the state of Adamawa is strongly proud of you, because I am too,” the president stated.

The endorsement comes amid ongoing nationwide efforts to curb banditry, insurgency, and other forms of violent crime, particularly in the North-East and North-West regions. Ribadu, a former anti-corruption czar and security strategist, has been at the forefront of coordinating intelligence and military responses under the Tinubu administration.

Tinubu’s remarks signal continued federal backing for the current security strategy, as the government reiterates its commitment to restoring peace and stability across the country.

Defence and Security

US Freezes Assets of 20 Nigerians, Entities Over Terrorism, Cybercrime Links

Published

on

US and Nigeria Flags
Share

The United States government has frozen the assets of more than 20 Nigerians and several Nigeria-based organisations over alleged links to terrorism financing and cybercrime, according to a new sanctions list released by the U.S. Treasury Department.

The action was announced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), which published an updated Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list naming individuals and entities designated under terrorism and cyber-related programmes.

OFAC said the sanctions were issued pursuant to Executive Order 13224, which targets terrorism financing and support networks. The order blocks all property and financial interests of designated persons within U.S. jurisdiction and prohibits U.S. persons and entities from engaging in transactions with them.

Among those listed are individuals linked to Boko Haram and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also known as ISIS.

Terrorism-Related Designations

Those designated under the Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) programme include:

Khalid al-Barnawi, born in Maiduguri, Borno State, identified under multiple aliases and linked to Boko Haram activities.

Abubakar Shekau, a former leader associated with Boko Haram.

Abu Musab al-Barnawi, also known as Habib Yusuf, described as a Boko Haram affiliate and leader.

Abu Bakr al-Mainuki, linked to ISIL.

Salihu Yusuf Adamu, reportedly based in Abu Dhabi and previously convicted in the United Arab Emirates for attempting to facilitate the transfer of funds to insurgents in Nigeria.

Surajo Abubakar Muhammad, Abdurrahman Ado Musa, Bashir Ali Yusuf, and Ibrahim Ali Alhassan, all designated for alleged links to Boko Haram.

Ali Abbas Usman Jega, listed under the SDGT programme.

Abeni O. Ogungbuyi, designated under the Narcotics Trafficking (SDNTK) sanctions programme.

Cybercrime Designations

Several Nigerians were also designated under OFAC’s CYBER2 sanctions framework for alleged cyber-related offences. They include:

Nnamdi Orson Benson

Abiola Ayorinde Kayode

Alex Afolabi Ogunshakin

Felix Osilama Okpoh

Micheal Olorunyomi

Richard Izuchukwu Uzuh

Under the sanctions, any assets or property belonging to the individuals within U.S. control are frozen, and Americans are generally prohibited from conducting business or financial transactions with them.

Sanctioned Organisations

Nigeria-based organisations listed under the sanctions include:

Boko Haram, also known as Jama’atu Ahlis-Sunnah Lidda’Awati Wal-Jihad, designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) and SDGT.

Ansaru, also designated as an FTO and SDGT.

Amigo Supermarket Limited

Kafak Enterprises Limited

Wonderland Amusement Park and Resort Ltd

Other organisations with alleged Nigerian affiliations were also included in the updated sanctions document.

OFAC stated that the publication serves as formal notice of actions taken against designated persons and entities and is intended to assist the public in complying with U.S. sanctions programmes.

The move comes amid renewed calls within the U.S. Congress for stricter measures, including visa bans and asset freezes, against certain Nigerian individuals and groups over allegations relating to insecurity and religious freedom violations.

U.S. authorities said the designations form part of broader efforts to disrupt extremist financing networks, combat cybercrime, and strengthen international counterterrorism enforcement.

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

US Deploys Troops, Air Assets to Maiduguri as Nigeria Intensifies Anti-ISWAP Offensive

Published

on

US Military personnel
Share

The United States has commenced a fresh military deployment to Nigeria’s North-East, with troops and air assets arriving ahead of a coordinated counter-insurgency push targeting fighters linked to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

The first batch of US personnel and at least five military aircraft arrived in the region this week, according to multiple security sources. A US military aircraft reportedly landed at the Maiduguri Air Base on Thursday night. By Friday evening, three aircraft were observed at the facility, with equipment being offloaded from at least one platform.

Earlier reports indicated that approximately 200 US troops would be deployed to Nigeria to train and support local forces engaged in ongoing counter-terrorism operations. A US official confirmed that the incoming personnel would reinforce a small contingent of American military staff already operating in the country.

The deployment comes amid expanding defence cooperation between Abuja and Washington, following high-level diplomatic and security engagements between US President Donald Trump and Nigerian authorities.

Airlift Operations Across Northern Bases

Counter-terrorism researcher Brant Philip disclosed that multiple US Air Force cargo aircraft landed at different air bases across northern Nigeria in recent days as part of the buildup.

According to Philip, six US Air Force cargo planes were deployed to West Africa within the past week. While one aircraft stopped in Ghana, five continued onward to Nigeria. He added that another aircraft arrived on Saturday and was likely heading toward the North-East theatre of operations.

Philip detailed that one C-17A Globemaster III aircraft landed at Kainji Air Base, while three C-17A aircraft and one C-130J-30 Super Hercules aircraft flew into Maiduguri Air Base in Borno State. He noted that the aircraft departed the same day after offloading cargo and personnel.

“Maiduguri Air Base will likely serve as the primary operational hub for supporting the Nigerian Army against ISWAP,” Philip said.

Security analysts consider Maiduguri strategically critical, as insurgents maintain influence or operational presence in several rural communities surrounding Borno State’s capital.

Possible Deployment of Advanced Assets

Philip further suggested that the airlift operations may involve the transfer of advanced military equipment, including MQ-9 Reaper drones, attack helicopters and additional US personnel to support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) missions.

Although US officials have not publicly confirmed the specific assets delivered, the scale of recent cargo flights indicates a significant logistical operation tied to expanded counter-terrorism cooperation.

AFRICOM Engagement and Expanded Mandate

The latest deployment follows a visit to Abuja last week by the Commander of United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), Gen. Dagvin Anderson. During his visit, Anderson met with President Bola Tinubu and senior Nigerian security officials, including National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu and top military chiefs.

At the meeting, both sides discussed shared security priorities, particularly counter-terrorism efforts aimed at degrading ISWAP and other extremist groups operating in Nigeria and the wider Lake Chad Basin region.

Anderson disclosed that American forces had already been deployed under an expanded bilateral security agreement but declined to specify troop strength. He stated that US personnel would primarily focus on intelligence gathering, operational planning support and enhancing the capacity of Nigerian forces.

Renewed Push Against ISWAP

The arrival of US troops and assets signals a renewed operational phase in Nigeria’s campaign against ISWAP, which has intensified attacks on military formations and civilian targets across parts of Borno and neighbouring states in recent months.

Security observers note that enhanced intelligence-sharing, aerial surveillance and joint planning could significantly improve the Nigerian military’s ability to disrupt insurgent logistics networks and reclaim contested rural territories.

While Nigerian defence authorities have yet to issue a comprehensive statement detailing the scope of the joint operations, military sources indicate that coordinated ground and air operations are expected to escalate in the coming weeks as part of the broader anti-ISWAP strategy.

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

Onanuga Seeks Probe Into El-Rufai’s Alleged Wire-Tapping Claim

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El Rufai
Share

The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, has called for a full investigation into allegations of wire-tapping made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

El-Rufai, speaking during an interview on ARISE TV’s Prime Time programme, alleged that the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, ordered his arrest following what he described as a failed attempt to detain him at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Thursday.

The former governor claimed that operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), working in conjunction with the Department of State Services (DSS), were involved in the operation.

El-Rufai further alleged that Ribadu personally authorised the action and claimed his team intercepted communications relating to the planned arrest, stating that “we listened to their calls.”

Reacting via his verified X handle on Friday, Onanuga described the remarks as a public admission of illegal wire-tapping and said the claim warranted legal scrutiny.

“El-Rufai confesses to wire-tapping Nigeria’s NSA on TV,” Onanuga wrote, questioning whether the former governor and his associates possess wire-tapping capabilities.

He urged security agencies to investigate the matter and apply appropriate sanctions if wrongdoing is established, adding that no individual is above the law.

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Deji Adeyanju described the alleged attempted arrest as “karma” but expressed doubt over claims of a concrete arrest plan.

Adeyanju noted that Nigerian law requires either a court-issued warrant or probable cause for a lawful arrest and maintained that established legal procedures exist for detaining any individual, including a former governor.

Continue Reading