Connect with us

Judiciary

Alleged Terrorism: Court Stops DSS From Arresting Emefiele

Published

on

Emefiele saga: Human Rights Organisation cautions against interference in DSS investigations
CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele
Share

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho, has declined an application by the Department of State Services (DSS) to arrest and detain the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele.

Justice Tsoho, while declining the motion ex-parte filed by an applicant in the absence of the respondent, said the secret police did not provide any concrete evidence to substantiate its claims that Emefiele was involved in terrorism financing and economic crimes.

At the proceeding, the Judge noted that the name of the respondent was given simply as ‘Godwin Emefiele’ without a material disclosure that he is the same person as the CBN Governor.

“In the light of the foregoing reasons, I decline to grant this application ex parte. If the applicant believes that the evidence available to it so far is sufficient, then it can as well arrest and detain the applicant, even without the order of the court. If however the applicant desires to still pursue this application, then it should place the respondent on notice considering the sensitive public office that he occupies,” the judge said.

Justice Tsoho, therefore, refused to entertain the suit until credible evidence is brought before the court as to the reason why the court should grant the request.

the move by the DSS comes after the recent controversial decisions of the CBN to redesign the 200, 500 and 1000 naira notes, as part of the measure to reduce the quantity of cash outside of its control, and discourage certain criminal activities such as kidnapping for ransom.

It also follows its announcement of a new policy limiting cash withdrawals for individuals and corporate bodies.

Both decisions have been viewed by some segments of the society, especially politicians as detrimental to their activities in the run-up to the 2023 general elections.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Judiciary

Taraba Court Jails Four for Life Over Staged Kidnapping Scheme

Published

on

Court-symbol
Court-symbol
Share

In a landmark ruling that underscores the judiciary’s zero tolerance for kidnapping in any form, a Taraba State High Court on Friday sentenced four individuals to life imprisonment for orchestrating a staged abduction scheme aimed at extorting millions from their families.

Presided over by the State Chief Judge, Justice Joel Agya, the court found Prosper Paul, Samuel David, Nosiu Buba, and Samuel Kelvin guilty of attempted kidnapping under suit number TRSJ/75C/2021. The plot, according to the court, revolved around Paul’s deliberate plan to fake the abduction of his girlfriend and another woman in order to demand ransoms.

The judge noted that while the victims, Miss Fyafyatirmam Andeteran and Miss Brenda Anthony, were not forcibly taken, their collaboration in the scheme did not diminish the criminality of the act. “This was a clear attempt to obtain ransom through deceit, which amounts to kidnapping under the law,” Justice Agya said.

Paul’s girlfriend’s family reportedly paid N4 million, while a separate demand of N10 million was made in Brenda’s case. Their location was eventually traced to a hotel in Jalingo through phone records. Paul was handed an additional 12-month sentence for criminal conspiracy, while the other three defendants were discharged of that charge but sentenced to life for their role in the attempted kidnapping.

The judge strongly condemned the growing pattern of young women colluding with partners to defraud their families, calling it “a disturbing social menace.”
Though both victims escaped prosecution, the court made it clear their actions were deeply troubling. “They were lucky not to be standing in the dock today,” Justice Agya remarked.

Defence counsel pleaded for leniency, citing remorse and reformation, but signalled their intent to study the ruling for potential appeal. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Justice hailed the verdict as a powerful deterrent.

“This judgment reinforces the rule of law and sends a clear message to criminal-minded individuals,” said Mustapha Adam, Deputy Director of Citizens’ Rights.

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Appeal Court Affirms IPOB As Terrorist Group

Published

on

IPOB Flag
IPOB Flag
Share

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has affirmed the January 18, 2018 order by Justice Abdu Kafarati of the Federal High Court, Abuja proscribing the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, and designating it as terrorist organisation.

In a judgment on Thursday, a three-member panel of the Court of Appeal was unanimous in holding that the Federal Government acted lawfully in proscribing the group, whose activities threatened the nation’s continued existence and the security of citizens.

In the lead judgment, Justice Hamma Barka resolved all the issues raised for determination against the appellant – IPOB and declared the appeal unmeritorious and dismissed it.

 

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court Stops VIO, Others From Seizing Vehicles, Imposing Fines

Published

on

VIO Vehicles
VIO Vehicles
Share

The Federal High Court in Abuja has curtailed the powers of the Directorate of Road Traffic Services (VIO), barring it from stopping and impounding vehicles or imposing fines on motorists across Nigeria’s capital.

Justice Evelyn Maha, on October 2, 2024, delivered this judgment in response to a fundamental rights enforcement lawsuit initiated by public interest lawyer Abubakar Marshal.

The court found that the VIO, along with other enforcement officials, lacked the legal authority to halt vehicles or penalise drivers.

The ruling impacts the Director of Road Transport, the Area Commander of Jabi, the Team Leader of Jabi, and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), who were all named as respondents.

Justice Maha ruled that none of these parties, under the Minister’s authority, could justify the seizure of vehicles or the imposition of fines on road users.

The judge further issued a perpetual injunction prohibiting these officials and their agents from infringing on the rights of Nigerians to move freely, asserting that any such actions violate constitutional rights, including the presumption of innocence and the protection of personal property.

This ruling reinforces motorists’ rights and limits the powers of the authorities in vehicle-related enforcement without legal grounds.

 

Continue Reading