Connect with us

Science & Tech

5G will become fastest adopted mobile generation in history- Report

Published

on

Share

Ericsson, a multinational telecommunications company says that 5G will soon become the fastest adopted mobile generation in history.

Ericsson made this known in a statement on Wednesday in Lagos, noting that subscriptions were increasing at a rate of about a million per day.

According to the report, China, North America and the Gulf Cooperation Council markets are leading the way on subscriber numbers, while Europe is off to a slow start.

It said that 5G subscriptions with a 5G-capable device grew by 70 million during the first quarter of 2021 and is forecast to reach 580 million by the end of 2021.

The forecast, which features in the 20th edition of the Ericsson Mobility Report, enhances the expectation that 5G would become the fastest adopted mobile generation.

It said that about 3.5 billion 5G subscriptions and 60 per cent 5G population coverage, had been estimated by the end of 2026.

The report, however, said the pace of adoption varies widely by region, adding that Europe was off to a slower start and has continued to fall far behind China, the U.S., Korea, Japan and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) markets in the pace of 5G deployments.

According to the report, 5G is expected to surpass a billion subscriptions two years ahead of the 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) timeline for the same milestone.

The report said that key factors behind the growth included China’s earlier commitment to 5G, availability and increasing affordability of commercial 5G devices.

It said that more than 300 5G smartphone models had already been announced or inaugurated commercially.

“This commercial 5G momentum is expected to continue in coming years, spurred by the enhanced role of connectivity as a key component of post-COVID-19 economic recovery.

“North East Asia is expected to account for the largest share of 5G subscriptions by 2026, with an estimated 1.4 billion 5G subscriptions.

“While North American and GCC markets are expected to account for the highest 5G subscription penetration, with 5G mobile subscriptions comprising 84 per cent and 73 per cent of all regional mobile subscriptions respectively,’’ it said.

Fredrik Jejdling, the Executive Vice President and Head of Networks, Ericsson said “This landmark twentieth edition of the Ericsson Mobility Report shows that we are in the next phase of 5G.

“With accelerating roll-outs and coverage expansion in pioneer markets such as China, the U.S. and South Korea.’’

Jejdling said it was now time for advanced use cases to start materialising and deliver on the promise of 5G.

He said businesses and societies were also preparing for a post-pandemic world, with 5G-powered digitisation playing a critical role.

The report also highlights that Smartphones and video driving mobile data traffic continues to grow year-on-year.

It said one exabyte (EB) comprises 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) gigabytes (GB).

The report added that global mobile data traffic – excluding traffic generated by fixed wireless access (FWA) – exceeded 49 EB per month at the end of 2020, and was projected to grow by a factor of close to five to reach 237 EB per month in 2026.

The report said that smartphones, which currently carried 95 per cent of this traffic, were also consuming more data than ever.

It said that globally, the average usage-per-smartphone now exceeded 10 GB per month and was forecast to reach 35 GB per month by the end of 2026.

According to the report, the COVID-19 pandemic is accelerating digitisation and increasing the importance and the need for reliable, high-speed mobile broadband connectivity.

It said that latest report showed that almost nine out of ten communications service providers (CSPs) that had inaugurated 5G, and had also fixed wireless access (FWA) offering (4G or 5G), even in markets with high fiber penetration.

According to the report, it is needed to accommodate increasing FWA traffic, which it forecasts to grow by a factor of seven to reach 64 EB in 2026. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Science & Tech

Young Nigerian Drone Makers Richer $52 Million: Plan Ghana Factory Africa’s Largest

Published

on

Share

Nigerian defence-technology startup Terra Industries has raised another $18 million, taking its seed funding to $52 million amid preparation to open a drone factory in Ghana and launch its first international office in London.

Nathan Nwachuku, 22, and Maxwell Maduka, 24 are founders of the Abuja-based startup Terra Industries.

Its 34,000-square-foot Pax-2 factory in Ghana is scheduled to open in the fourth quarter and is expected to produce up to 50,000 aerial systems a year by 2028.

The funding gives the Nigerian company more capital to manufacture in Africa while expanding its sales and operations beyond the continent.

The company said the latest funding will support manufacturing, engineering, operations and business-development teams, as well as deployments across Africa and other markets in the Global South.

Terra’s Pax-2 factory in Ghana is scheduled to open in the fourth quarter. The 34,000-square-foot facility is expected to become Africa’s largest drone factory once operational, according to the company.

It is a significant next step after Terra’s funding reached $34 million in February, when the startup said it was scaling production of drones, surveillance towers and unmanned ground vehicles.

The Ghana facility is a more defined version of the company’s earlier plan to expand its manufacturing base beyond Nigeria. It will follow Terra’s 15,000-square-foot flagship factory in Abuja.

Terra says its systems are already used to help protect power plants, mines and other critical infrastructure assets valued at about $11 billion across multiple African countries.

The latest raise also comes as African governments and infrastructure operators look for locally built alternatives in a sector where the continent still receives a small share of global defence-technology funding.

From Abuja to Accra and London

Terra was founded in 2024 by Nathan Nwachuku and Maxwell Maduka. It develops autonomous aerial, land and maritime systems, including drones, interceptor drones, surveillance towers and unmanned ground vehicles.

Terra’s additional capital was provided by existing investors 8VC, Silent Ventures, Nova Global, Belief Capital and SV Angel. Norleo Space Investments and Grant Gordon also joined the round, Terra said in its funding announcement.

The company will open an office in London while keeping manufacturing in Africa. It plans further expansion across the Gulf, South America and South Asia.

The factory timetable

Pax-2 is expected to produce up to 50,000 systems a year by 2028. That figure is a company target, not current output.

The new factory is designed to produce Terra’s aerial-systems portfolio. Its planned capacity is more than three times the size of the company’s existing Abuja factory by floor area.

The project gives Ghana a direct role in the company’s next production phase, while Nigeria remains home to its original factory and founding team.

The funding does not mean the factory is already operational. Terra has said Pax-2 is due to open in the fourth quarter, and the planned annual capacity is tied to its 2028 target.

Continue Reading

News

Ekiti Knowledge Zone ‘ll Be Nigeria’s Innovation, Job Creation Hub- President Tinubu 

Published

on

Share

 

 

…project ‘ll create 100,000 jobs, Oyebanji assures

 

 

 

 

The President of Nigeria, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has hailed the Governor of Ekiti State, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, for sustaining and promoting the spirit behind the concept of Ekiti Knowledge Zone(EKZ), saying the project has a good prognosis of becoming a viable Nigeria’s hub of Innovations, research and skill development in the future.

 

The President described Ekiti as the home of scholars and posited that the EKZ, as a state government propelled investment, is capable of radicalising the potentials of talented Nigerians and serve as a launchpad for their relevance at the global stage.

 

The President spoke on Tuesday, during the turning of the sod for the Ekiti Knowledge Zone located at Ago Araromi in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State Capital.

 

The President, who was represented by the Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, said education remained the most viable inheritance of Ekiti people and commended Governor Oyebanji for demonstrating visionary leadership in governing the State through strategic alliances with critical stakeholders.

Describing the EKZ project as a masterpiece, the President said it was in alignment with Singaporean vision that any economy can be unlocked through education and technological innovation, assuring Governor Oyebanji and the entire citizens of the federal Government’s support to make the project thrive.

 

“Under President Tinubu’s administration, we are gradually moving from dependency to sustainability and self sufficiency. We are determined to encourage research, innovation and technological development to create jobs for our teeming youths.

 

“We are focused about this and I thank Governor Biodun Oyebanji for his leadership and initiative”.

 

Also speaking at the event , Governor Oyebanji revealed that the Ekiti Knowledge Zone was conceptualised to unlock the hidden potentials of Ekiti citizens and make the state the frontliner in skill, innovation, research and human capital development worldwide.

 

The governor said Ekiti has been known to be intellectual hub and for having the highest number of Professors in the country, who deserves serious attention in the area of innovation.

 

He added that the project commenced August 12, 2013 under Governor Kayode Fayemi-led government, with the intention to build the potentials of Ekiti citizens.

 

Oyebanji stated that he decided to sustain the EKZ in demonstration of the continuity agenda of his government as well as making significant investment in technology, industrial development, healthcare , research, science and innovation, and many other pivotal areas of the economy that would make Ekiti epicentre of development .

 

“This project is part of the 30 years Development Plan of this administration in its efforts to unlock the economic potentials of our state. And we are happy that we had been able to raise $80 million financial capital through the federal government and African Development Bank. We appreciate President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and AfDB for approving the deal.

 

“You could all remember that that the EKZ was designated as a Free Trade Zone by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari. This EKZ is not only going to be the giant of innovation in Africa, but it represents a world class economic ecosystem that will serve as a catalyst for industrial development, innovation, job creation, opportunities for technology driven industries and skill acquisition platform.

 

“I am glad to inform you that the first phase when fully completed, over 20,000 jobs will be created in line with the local contents policy of our administration, while the entire phases is to generate about 100,000 jobs covering areas like research, science, technology, industry and education development”.

 

The Chief Executive Officer of CCECC, the contractor handling the project, Eric Shem, applauded the federal, state and African Development Bank for their partnership, saying their lofty contributions demonstrated how committed they are to the development of the human capital in the country.

 

Shem said the programme will change the future of the country by attracting investments and build the human capital, assuring that the project will be completed in record time to create employment opportunities and to meet other demands.

 

High profile figures at the ceremony were: the Governor of Ondo State, Mr. Lucky Ayedatiwa, Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Mrs Monisade Afuye, Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, Speaker of the House of Assembly, Rt Hon Adeoye Aribasoye, former Governor Segun Oni, Senator Cyril Fasuyi, Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Hon Ibrahim Masari, the Onijan of Ijan Ekiti, Oba Adebanji Aladesuyi, commissioners, Special Advisers, political and community leaders, among others.

Continue Reading

News

I’m Standing By The Gate’: Shaibu Denied Access To Edo Govt House Office

Published

on

Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his Deputy Philip Shaibu
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his Deputy Philip Shaibu
Share

The Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shaibu, has been denied access to his old office at the Government House in Benin, the state capital.

Shaibu arrived at the Government House on Monday morning but met the gate leading to his office under lock and key.

He says he has yet to receive a formal letter from the governor’s office and that, according to him, is the proper channel to transmit a directive pertaining to the relocation to a new office

“Up till now, I don’t have any official communication that I should relocate. The only people that have official communication are my civil servants. The civil servants have official communication but I don’t. As I am speaking to you now, I am standing by the gate,” he said while on a phone call to a yet-to-be-identified person.

The Edo State Governor has not reacted to the development, but sources close to him say Shaibu has relocated his office to a new location outside of the Government House and was not expected at the old office.

They also explained that there was no meeting scheduled for Monday so the Deputy Governor was not expected at the Government House.

If a meeting had been scheduled, they said arrangements would have been made and the Deputy Governor would have been allowed to attend.

Last week, a letter said to be from the office of the Head of Service, Anthony Okungbowa, was reported to have been sent to the Permanent Secretary, Office of the Deputy Governor directing Shuaibu to relocate to a new office situated at No 7, Dennis Osadebey Avenue, GRA, Benin City.

However, sources close to Edo’s number two citizen claimed that the new office is abandoned and in dire need of rehabilitation.

 

Continue Reading