Connect with us

News

Reps grill EFCC, ICPC, others over recovered loots

Published

on

Share

The House of Representatives Adhoc Committee on Assessment and Status of All Recovered Loots on Wednesday grilled the Economic and Financial Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences (ICPC) over recovered loots.

Others grilled by the House Committee include; the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Nigeria Sovereign Wealth Fund among others in Abuja.

Mr Abdulrasheed Bawa, the Chairman, EFCC said that the agency had the available record of the amount recovered.

Bawa while answering questions on the much celebrated 43 million dollars loot recovered from Ikoyi in 2017, said that the money had been forfeited to the Federal Government.

He, however, added that only money forfeited and had gone to the Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF) account could be utilised by the Federal Government.

Bawa said that the EFCC only relied on the annual budget for its operational cost, adding that the agency does not take money from recovered loot for operations.

The EFCC Chairman later pleaded he should be excused by the committee to attend to pressing engagement.

This request, however, did not go down well with the committee.

The Chairman of the Committee, Rep Adejora Adeogun, told the EFCC chairman that he was undermining the power of the committee.

Bawa quickly apologised and pleaded for understanding.

Adeogun asked him to go for the meeting but must return at 3:00 p.m to answer questions.

Prof. Bolaji Owasanloye, Chairman, ICPC, said that the commission had recovered N7.5 billion looted fund, adding that it currently had N2.1 billion left.

He said that the sum of N5.5 billion had gone to the Federal Government from the recovered loot.

Owasanloye said that it was disturbing that the system of assets recovery had not been efficient in terms of record.

He said that the ICPC had an assets recovery account where recovered loots were usually deposited, adding that the commission had no business with consolidate revenue fund.

The ICPC boss said that the account of the commission was open and always accessible to the Federal Government and the Minister of Finance.

He stated that there were assets the commission would not dispose off until investigations were concluded and the fund remitted to the government coffer.

According to him, if government losses the case, the assets will definitely go back to the owners.

Mr Uche Orji, the Managing Director, Nigerian Sovereign Wealth Fund, said that no money recovered had been spent.

He added that about 311 million dollars had been recovered by the agency and kept with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

He was however asked to come back for further clarification for failing to provide some documents that could aid in the investigation.

The Commandant General of NSCDS, Mr Ahmed Audi, said that the invitation letter to the corps for it to appear over recovery loot was not cleared, but had to seek interpretation from its legal department.

  1. He asked for one month extension for the NSCDC to re appear before the committee but was given two weeks. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Labour Rejects FG’s Fresh ₦54,000 Minimum Wage Proposal

Published

on

NLC Flag
Share

 

The Federal Government has proposed to pay N54,000 as minimum wage, as the Tripartite Committee on the New Minimum Wage returned to the negotiation table after the Organised Labour pulled out of the negotiations last week.

At the reconvened meeting this week, the Federal Government made a fresh proposal to pay N54,000 as against the initial N48,000 it proposed during the last sitting.

However, a reliable source at the meeting said that the Organised Labour refused the new proposal, as it is a far cry from the N615,000 proposed by both the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

According to the source, the meeting which held behind closed doors at the Nicon luxury hotel in Abuja on Tuesday has been adjourned to Wednesday, May 22 to continue with negotiations.

The Organised Labour comprising the NLC and the TUC had on Tuesday given the Federal Government up till the end of May to conclude negotiations for a new minimum wage.

The unions also directed their members in states that are owing the N30,000 minimum wage to gear up for industrial action.

May 31 Deadline
The Federal Government had failed to present a nationally acceptable minimum wage to Nigerians before the May 1 Labour Day.

The situation has forced labour to be at loggerheads with the government. In the wake of the tussle, NLC President Joe Ajaero insisted on the N615,000 minimum wage, arguing that the amount was arrived at after an analysis of the economic situation worsened by the hike in the cost of living and the needs of an average Nigerian family of six.

With the cost of living rising following the removal of fuel subsidy, calls for a new minimum wage have continued to make headlines in Nigeria.

Ajaero and labour leaders gave the Federal Government a May 31 deadline to meet their demands.

 

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests 78 Internet Fraudsters In Enugu, Imo

Published

on

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede
Share

The operatives of the Enugu Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 78 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu and Imo States.

EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday, May 20, 2024.

Oyewale noted that 29 suspected internet fraudsters were arrested in Enugu metropolis on May 15, while 49 others were nabbed in Imo State on May 17.

He said the suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence about their suspected involvement in online criminal activities.

The EFCC spokesperson listed items recovered from the suspects to include 13 cars, mobile phones, and laptops.

Oyewale added that the suspected internet fraudsters would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.

Continue Reading

News

Lady Abandons Husband One Month After Wedding For Deceiving Her That He Lives Abroad

Published

on

Couple on Wedding Day
Couple on Wedding Day
Share

A Nigerian Lady by name Nancy has left her husband after barely one month of the traditional marriage and church wedding ceremonies which took place in Isuochi Umunneochi LGA of Abia State this last Easter Sunday 2024.

She said she discovered he has no money but was sponsored by his family to come marry her.

“He lied to me that he came back from the US and would be returning after our marriage ceremonies, but I didn’t know he was brought back to the village to live permanently by his family” she said.

“I can only go back to that nonsense marriage only if he would go back to the US as he told me earlier, if not no marriage, I no come this world to come suffer” she added.

Though, rumours in Amunda community has it that the heart broken husband a.k.a. ‘Mentor’ has been threatening the runaway wife and her family with Juju Shrine summons.

According to the rumours, Mr. Mentor’ said it’s either her family refunds him back all his expenses or return the lady to him before seven days or she will run mad and kpai.

 

Continue Reading