Connect with us

News

APC may face challenges after Buhari’s exit in 2023 – Lawan

Published

on

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan
Share

…advices party leaders to divest powers to youths to sustain legacies

President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has said that the All Progressives Congress (APC) may face challenges after the exit of President Muhammadu Buhari from office in 2023, except timely interventions are taken to avert same.

Lawan gave the warning on Monday night in a speech delivered to close the First Progressives Youth Conference 2021 which held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.

According to him, the party must begin to plan ahead to sustain the goodwill and legacies of the present administration by ensuring that its leaders hand over power to competent youths in the All Progressives Congress.

He noted that by doing so, the party would be able to retain its appeal and nationalistic outlook beyond the 2023 general elections.

He said, “Whether we like it or not, the truth is, President Muhammadu Buhari remains the person with the bulk of the support we get across this country in APC.

“[And] when he leaves, he would still have some roles, but I daresay that it is after he leaves office that APC will face its challenge.

“Yes, we have to know our value then, and the value of APC presently is APC minus President Muhammadu Buhari. Whatever it is, that is the value of APC.

“So, we need to do a lot to build this party, and we need our youths more than ever before for them to continue with this legacy that this administration has established all over the country.

“That means we have to see our selves as brothers and sisters regardless of where we come from.”

The Senate President added that, “our tribe or even ethnic group, our religious persuasion should not matter when it comes to uniting this country.

“[And] as APC, the onus is on us to provide security and an economy that will bring growth and development to give people the kind of life that is meaningful.

“We can ask others to join us, but we are the ones to do it, so we need all hands on deck.”

He lamented that the plan of the APC to deliver on most of its promises to Nigerians was stalled in the first tenure of the President Buhari administration as a result of the feud between the National Assembly and the Executive arm of government.

“When we were voted in 2019 as leaders of the National Assembly, we were conscious of one thing, that our mandate that was given to us by Nigerians in 2015 had suffered disruption and dislocation.

“For four years (2015 to 2019), our government could not perform optimally because of the then crisis between the parliament – the National Assembly – and the Executive arm of government.

“So, APC had already lost four very important years. And, that was supposed to be the years that we should have convinced Nigerians that they took the right decision by voting out a PDP administration in 2015.

“What are our options? We are one party in different arms of government. Our policies are supposed to be the same. Our programmes and projects are supposed to be the same, whether you’re in the legislature or the executive.

“So long as you are APC, that is your programme and project, that is your government and you are bound to make it succeed.

“So, we took the conscious decision of working in harmony that our relationship must be characterized by consultation, coordination, partnership and mutual respect, that we must succeed in the second tenure (2019 – 2023).

“Otherwise, in 2023, many would like to see our backs if you can’t provide the services expected of you in your first four years.

“[And] you to change and do better, why would anybody give you eight years?

“So, we felt we have an obligation to Nigerians who voted for us, to our people in APC and to our country, that we must work in such a fashion and manner that government is able to deliver services to Nigerians.”

The Senate President further disclosed that the ongoing amendment to the 1999 constitution will accord priority to inclusion of youths in governance.

He explained that the aim was to ensure that power is divested to younger generation in a way that allows them to participate in the process.

“Power is not given by opposition. When were out of power or when we came in, another party was in control of the country – the PDP.

“There was no way the PDP could have given us power a la carte, but the people of Nigeria mobilized and, of course, that government was voted out.

“But when it is a family affair, and this is my position, power is given not taken. Imagine yourself and your children, you want them to be better than you.

“But when you say power will not be given, that family is dysfunctional. So, power is given and can be given. How I wish it would be given.

“I am with you and I am on your side. I am still on the side that we can give power to our youths.

“We should enable them, prepare them and tell them this is the way to go. You have seen us do it, and you can do better because of the energy and capacity that you have.

“These days, our youths have more capacities, what they may lack is that clout.

“So, we also have to mentor our youths, but we have to give them the opportunity to participate in governance.

“I really feel we can do better to have more youths and more women in our government and party positions.”

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Oyebanji Is Back From USA

Published

on

Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji
Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji
Share

Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji this morning returned from his working visit to the United States of America.

A statement by the Special Adviser ( Media), to the Governor, Mr Yinka Oyebode said Oyebanji arrived the Muritala Mohammed Airport, Lagos around 10am and was received by some government officials.

The Governor will attend to some scheduled meetings in Lagos later today and head to Abuja on Thursday for other scheduled assignments.

Governor Oyebanji, in the course of the working visit to America, had extensive talks with some heads of governments and institutions, business leaders and development partners, exploring investment opportunities for the state’s power infrastructure, the Special Agriculture Processing Zone and the Ekiti Knowledge Zone, among others.

“These were outside his participation in the US-Africa Business Summit and the signing of MOU with CAVISTA Holdings for a multi billion naira 100,000 hectares cassava farm in the state.” the statement said.

Continue Reading

News

Labour Rejects FG’s Fresh ₦54,000 Minimum Wage Proposal

Published

on

NLC Flag
Share

 

The Federal Government has proposed to pay N54,000 as minimum wage, as the Tripartite Committee on the New Minimum Wage returned to the negotiation table after the Organised Labour pulled out of the negotiations last week.

At the reconvened meeting this week, the Federal Government made a fresh proposal to pay N54,000 as against the initial N48,000 it proposed during the last sitting.

However, a reliable source at the meeting said that the Organised Labour refused the new proposal, as it is a far cry from the N615,000 proposed by both the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

According to the source, the meeting which held behind closed doors at the Nicon luxury hotel in Abuja on Tuesday has been adjourned to Wednesday, May 22 to continue with negotiations.

The Organised Labour comprising the NLC and the TUC had on Tuesday given the Federal Government up till the end of May to conclude negotiations for a new minimum wage.

The unions also directed their members in states that are owing the N30,000 minimum wage to gear up for industrial action.

May 31 Deadline
The Federal Government had failed to present a nationally acceptable minimum wage to Nigerians before the May 1 Labour Day.

The situation has forced labour to be at loggerheads with the government. In the wake of the tussle, NLC President Joe Ajaero insisted on the N615,000 minimum wage, arguing that the amount was arrived at after an analysis of the economic situation worsened by the hike in the cost of living and the needs of an average Nigerian family of six.

With the cost of living rising following the removal of fuel subsidy, calls for a new minimum wage have continued to make headlines in Nigeria.

Ajaero and labour leaders gave the Federal Government a May 31 deadline to meet their demands.

 

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests 78 Internet Fraudsters In Enugu, Imo

Published

on

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede
Share

The operatives of the Enugu Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 78 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu and Imo States.

EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday, May 20, 2024.

Oyewale noted that 29 suspected internet fraudsters were arrested in Enugu metropolis on May 15, while 49 others were nabbed in Imo State on May 17.

He said the suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence about their suspected involvement in online criminal activities.

The EFCC spokesperson listed items recovered from the suspects to include 13 cars, mobile phones, and laptops.

Oyewale added that the suspected internet fraudsters would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.

Continue Reading