Connect with us

News

NCOS calls for virtual court sitting for speedy trials

Published

on

Share

The Controller, Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), FCT command, Mr Abdul-rahman Maiyaki, has called for virtual court sitting for inmates to aid speedy decongestion of custodial centres.

Maiyaki made the call during a courtesy visit to Justice Peters Kekemeke, Federal High Court, Nyanya on Tuesday in Abuja.

He said the purpose of the visit was to address the issues the inmates were facing in the custodial centres, noting that remand inmates were of major concern.

The controller noted that although virtual court sitting had been on during the recent strike by court workers, he said it was necessary to continue virtual court sittings to help inmates get justice immediately.

“By so doing, this will not only address the issue of overcrowding but also ease the unnecessary panic and tension that lead to jailbreaks in the custodial centres.

“The issue of Awaiting Trials Persons (ATPs) as well would be addressed and this would decongest our custodial centres as most of them were the reasons the custodial centres were overcrowded,” he said.

Maiyaki assured Kekemeke of the security of any Judge sent to the custodial centres for any sitting as NCoS had put in place necessary measures to ensure their safety.

“We have decided that no inmates will be seen around the centres until the trials are done. We have also prepared a place for the justice to sit,” he said.

Responding, Justice Kekemeke said majority of inmates on remand had not been convicted of a criminal offence and were awaiting trial following a not guilty plea.

Kekemeke said several inmates had been illegally kept behind bars without any reason, adding that virtual sitting would help in decongesting the centres.

The judge who doubles as the Liaison Officer of the high court and NCoS assured the team of quick response to help fight overcrowding.

“We will be proactive in sending the magistrates to visit the custodial centres to ensure the Correctional Service is decongested.

“The court will ensure people are posted once or twice to the centres for inmates’ trials,” he said.

Kekemeke urged the controller and his team to make provisions to construct courts inside the custodial centres, adding that it would solve the issue of overcrowding speedily.

He noted that cases were slow due to lack of witnesses, and that magistrates and judges were always ready to work but witnesses were not always on ground.

The judge also urged them to carry the police and other necessary sister agencies along in their arrangements to have an effective outcome. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ekiti APC Primary: Akinlayo Davidson Dismisses Thuggery Allegation

Published

on

Share

 

The member representing Ekiti North Federal Constituency II in the House of Representatives, Akinlayo Kolawole Davidson, has dismissed allegations linking him to the sponsorship of thugs to disrupt the forthcoming All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election in Ekiti State.

 

In a statement issued on Thursday, the lawmaker described the allegation as “malicious, baseless and misleading,” accusing political opponents of attempting to tarnish his reputation ahead of the party’s primary election.

 

According to the statement, Hon. Davidson remains committed to peaceful and credible democratic processes and has never encouraged or financed violence in any form.

 

The lawmaker stressed that he is a loyal member of the APC who has consistently advocated transparent and violence-free elections within the party and beyond.

 

He further stated that he remains the only aspirant in Ekiti North Federal Constituency II to have campaigned across all the 32 wards in the constituency, where he engaged directly with party members and stakeholders on issues affecting development, unity and progress.

 

The statement added that his grassroots support and acceptance across the constituency make any resort to violence unnecessary and contrary to his political beliefs.

 

Hon. Davidson also denied any connection with individuals allegedly arrested over acts of thuggery, insisting that they are not members of his campaign structure.

 

The statement claimed that available information indicated that the suspects were non-state actors allegedly working with and on the payroll of the state government, adding that attempts to link them to the lawmaker were deliberate efforts to mislead party members and the public.

 

While calling on party supporters to disregard the allegation, the federal lawmaker urged security agencies to remain vigilant and investigate individuals spreading falsehood capable of creating tension within the APC.

 

He reaffirmed his commitment to peace, party unity and the continued development of Ekiti North Federal Constituency II and Ekiti State at large.

Continue Reading

Crime

Officer in Viral Misconduct Video Dismissed by Ekiti Police

Published

on

Share

 

 

 

The Ekiti State Police Command has dismissed a police officer, Sergeant Osayingbemi Temitope, over alleged misconduct linked to the consumption of illicit drugs.

 

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Sunday Abutu, the Command said the officer was found behaving erratically in a viral social media video recorded in Ikole-Ekiti on May 9, 2026.

 

According to the statement, the officer was immediately subjected to medical and psychological evaluations following the incident.

 

The Command disclosed that the psychological assessment showed that the officer was emotionally stable, while the medical test confirmed that he tested positive for tobacco and amphetamine.

 

It added that during further investigations, the officer admitted to taking illicit drugs.

 

The statement noted that internal disciplinary procedures had been concluded and the officer was found culpable of misconduct.

 

“The officer was recommended for dismissal and the recommendation was upheld. The Command hereby confirms his dismissal, which takes immediate effect,” the statement said.

 

The Command reiterated that the Nigeria Police Force remains a disciplined organisation and would not tolerate acts of indiscipline, unprofessional conduct or any behaviour capable of tarnishing the image of the Force.

 

The Commissioner of Police in Ekiti State, Falade Adegoroye Micheal, charged officers of the Command to uphold professionalism, accountability, integrity and remain committed to their statutory responsibility of protecting lives and property.

Continue Reading

News

Ekiti Police, INEC Meet APC Aspirants Ahead of Reps Primaries

Published

on

Share

 

 

 

The Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) in Ekiti State has warned aspirants contesting the forthcoming All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives primaries against violence, thuggery and hate speech ahead of the exercise scheduled for Friday, May 15, 2026.

 

The warning was issued during a stakeholders’ meeting held on Thursday at the Police Headquarters in Ado-Ekiti, where security agencies and electoral officials met with APC aspirants participating in the primaries.

 

The meeting was attended by the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ekiti State and Chairman of ICCES, Bunmi Omoseyindemi, alongside the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police and Co-Chairman of ICCES, Falade Adegoroye Micheal, as well as other members of the committee.

 

Speaking at the meeting, Omoseyindemi said the gathering became necessary to ensure peaceful, free, fair and credible conduct of the primaries. He urged aspirants to avoid acts capable of causing breakdown of law and order before, during and after the election.

 

The REC specifically cautioned politicians against the use of thugs, violence and inflammatory statements, stressing that all stakeholders must work together to sustain peace and democratic stability in the state.

 

Also addressing the aspirants, Commissioner of Police Falade disclosed that security agencies had received intelligence reports indicating that some individuals were allegedly planning to disrupt the primaries.

 

He warned that anyone found engaging in violence or any act capable of jeopardising the peaceful conduct of the exercise would be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

 

Other ICCES members also advised the aspirants to embrace peace and conduct themselves responsibly throughout the electoral process.

 

As part of resolutions reached at the meeting, all aspirants signed an undertaking committing themselves to maintaining peace, political stability and democratic order before, during and after the APC primaries.

Continue Reading