The Police High command on Thursday Paraded 14 suspects in connection with the raid of the apartment of a Supreme Court justice Mary Odili’s Abuja residence describing the suspects as a syndicate gang who specialize in parading themselves as law enforcement officers
The crime syndicate included an Islamic prayer warrior and herbalist, Ali Umar Ibrahim; the mastermind one CSP Lawrence Ajojo, a fake police officer; a contributing editor with Thisday Newspaper, Stanley Nkwazema; lawyers and bankers; Lawyers, Military personnel, accountants, amongst others.
Parading the suspects at the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) Headquarters, Area 10, Abuja, the Force Public Relations Officer CP Frank Mba, said seven of the suspects, including two soldiers,were still at large.
According to the Spokesperson, the suspets conspired to raid the residence following information that the Supreme Court Justice was keeping a large sum of money in foreign currencies.
The Force Spokesperson who Commended the security officers on duty for resisting the suspicious search warrant produced by the suspects said that the criminals were impersonator and document forgers who were on their own and not hired by any personnel of the Ministry of Justice as they claimed.
speaking to Journalist during interrogation one of the suspect Lawrence Ajodo a fake police officer who forged the signatures of the attorney general and minister of justice for the fictitious search warrant also confessed to forging those signatures and documents
According to Lawrence Ajodo who fraudulently portrays himself as a police man and an operative of the EFCC at the same time. He followed a hint that came to him.
in his words “I work for mallami as a consultant of recoveries, I was given 18 accounts to recover in recent time, though mallami did not send me to this mission. but I am a banking expert with specialty in finance and forensic.”
The journalist Stanley Mkwazema said he was following a story lead on that day and was not part of those that invaded the premises.
The whistle blower Ali Umar Ibrahim said that he swore an affidavit that there was millions of money starched in that house because he got the hint and to confirm this suspicion he introduced himself as a prayer warrior to the godson of Justice odili and he prayed to know if the story was true and he decided to go through the Efcc as a formal channel only for him to be linked with fake officials of the Anti corruption agency.
The Force public Relations Officer CP Frank Mba says the suspects will be charged to court
Gabon Coup Leader Sworn In As Interim President
General Brice Oligui Nguema, who led a coup last week that toppled Gabon’s 55-year-old dynasty, took the oath of office as interim president on Monday, promising to hold “free… (and) transparent elections” after an unspecified period.
Oligui, head of the elite Republican Guard, led officers in a coup on Wednesday against President Ali Bongo Ondimba, scion of a family that had ruled since 1967.
The ousting came just moments after Bongo, 64, was proclaimed victor in last month’s presidential election — a result branded a fraud by the opposition.
“I swear before God and the Gabonese people to faithfully preserve the republican regime,” said Oligui.
Dressed in the red ceremonial costume of the Republican Guard, Oligui also swore to “preserve the achievements of democracy”, at the ceremony held before judges of the Constitutional Court.
He immediately pledged in a speech to hold “free… (and) transparent elections” after a transition period which he did not specify, and to amnesty “prisoners of conscience.”
The coup leaders on Wednesday said they had dissolved the nation’s institutions, cancelled the election results and temporarily closed the borders.
Other countries have not acknowledged Oligui as Gabon’s legitimate leader and he faces pressure to spell out his plans for restoring civilian rule.
Oligui was lifted up triumphantly by his troops following the announcement of the coup, and in the days since has been seen flanked by generals and colonels.
He has also held hours of high-profile discussions with business and religious leaders, unions, political parties, NGOs, diplomats, and journalists, and has been taking notes and responding at length to questions and grievances.
On Friday, he vowed to create more democratic institutions that respect human rights, but said he would proceed “without haste”.
A fringe of the former opposition is urging Oligui to hand over power, but many people in Gabon seem happy about the overthrow of the Bongo dynasty, with celebrations in the streets of the capital Libreville and the economic hub of Port-Gentil.
Several Western countries and organisations have condemned the coup while acknowledging that it is different to others on the continent due to concerns over the credibility of the vote itself.
“Naturally, military coups are not the solution, but we must not forget that in Gabon there had been elections full of irregularities,” said the European Union’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell.
Former president Bongo had been seeking his third term in office after coming to power in 2009 following the death of his father Omar, who ruled Gabon with an iron fist for over 40 years.
The coup leaders said they had put him under house arrest and placed him “in retirement”.
But Bongo managed to distribute a video on social media where he said his son and wife Sylvia had been detained, appealing to “all friends that we have all over the world… to make noise” on his behalf.
National TV on Friday showed rolling images of the deposed president’s son Noureddin Bongo Valentin and other arrested officials in front of suitcases filled with cash allegedly seized from their homes.
The military has accused them of treason, embezzlement, corruption and falsifying the president’s signature, among other allegations.
Five other countries in Africa — Mali, Guinea, Sudan, Burkina Faso and Niger — have undergone coups in the last three years. Their new rulers have resisted demands for a short timetable for returning to barracks.
Niger Military Govt withdraws French ambassador’s immunity, orders his expulsion
Niger’s new military rulers have withdrawn the French ambassador’s diplomatic immunity and ordered police to expel him, according to a letter seen Thursday by AFP.
The envoy “no longer enjoys the privileges and immunities attached to his status as member of the diplomatic personnel in the French embassy,” according to their letter, dated Tuesday, to the foreign ministry in Paris.
“(His) diplomatic cards and visas and those of the members of his family have been cancelled. The police have been instructed to proceed to his expulsion,” it said.
The move follows a coup in the troubled Sahel state on July 26 that toppled a close French ally, President Mohamed Bazoum.
Relations with France spiralled downwards after Paris stood by Bazoum and refused to recognise Niger’s new rulers.
On Friday, the authorities gave French envoy Sylvain Itte 48 hours to leave the country.
France refused the demand, saying that the government had no legal right to make such an order.
On Tuesday, French President Emmanuel Macron singled out Itte for praise after he remained at his post.
French military spokesman Colonel Pierre Gaudilliere on Thursday warned that “the French military forces are ready to respond to any upturn in tension that could harm French diplomatic and military premises in Niger”.
“Measures have been take to protect these premises,” he said.
ECOWAS Rejects Niger Military’s Three-Year Transition Plan
The Economic Community of West African States has rejected the Niger Military Government plan for a transition of power presumably to a democratic government within three years.
“Our ambition is not to confiscate power,” General Abdourahamane Tiani said in a televised address. Any transition of power “would not go beyond three years”, he said.
However, the ECOWAS Commissioner for Political Affairs, Amb. Abdel-Fatau Musah, in a live appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today Monday, stated that the West African bloc was not having it.
“This offer is completely unacceptable and ECOWAS insists on the restoration of constitutional order as quickly as possible,” he said, arguing that the commission had the experience of “these cat-and-mouse games with these military regimes”.
Musah cited the creation of Niger’s “new” constitution in 2010, which he said was revised in 2017.
“What dramatic change do you need in the governance architecture of the country to require three years to experiment with something else? This is like subterfuge to throw ECOWAS off-course and then do whatever they want,” he said.
“In some other countries under military regime in West Africa, they had about three years, and already they are ‘negotiating’ with their population to have another 18 months. Even a democratically elected president in Nigeria has only four years to run.
“So, what legitimacy do they have to already begin with three years? And we know it is not going to end there.”
TINUBU: SECURITY, JOB CREATION, POVERTY REDUCTION TOP PRIORITIES OF 2024 BUDGET
SharePresident Bola Tinubu says Nigeria’s national defence and internal security, local job creation, macro-economic stability, investment environment optimization, human capital...
CJN Urges Judges To Remain Fair In Judgements
Share The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, has asked Judges to maintain the integrity that the Judiciary is...
Tinubu Retains Kyari As NNPCL GCEO, Appoints Akinyelure As Board Chairman
Share President Bola has appointed Pius Akinyelure as the Non-Executive Board Chairman of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL)...
FEC Approves N27.5tn As 2024 Budget
Share***Reviews Medium-Term Expenditure Framework, The Federal Executive Council (FEC), on Monday, approved a 2024 budget of N27.5 trillion. This followed...
Tinubu Presents His First Budget As President On Wednesday
Share President Bola Tinubu will present the 2024 budget to the National Assembly on Wednesday. This is according to a...