Connect with us

News

Bribery Controversy: Abba Kyari Denies Receiving Money From Hushpuppi

Published

on

DCP Abba-Kyari and Hushpuppi
DCP Abba-Kyari and Hushpuppi
Share

A deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari has denied receiving money from Ramon Abbas popularly known as Hushpuppi.

This was after the police chief was mentioned as a beneficiary in an international fraud case of $1.1million involving Hushpuppi and his crime syndicate.

Hushpuppi had earlier told U.S. prosecutors that he gave Mr Kyari part of the proceeds of the crime.

He said he also got Mr Kyari to arrest one of the Nigerian accomplices when they had a disagreement.

This was disclosed in a plea agreement document on Wednesday.

“Court documents outline a dispute among members of the conspiracy, which allegedly prompted Vincent to contact the victim and claim that Abbas and Juma were engaged in fraud.

“After this contact, Abbas allegedly arranged to have Vincent jailed in Nigeria by Abba Alhaji Kyari, 46, of Nigeria. According to the affidavit, Kyari is a highly decorated deputy commissioner of the Nigeria Police Force who is alleged to have arranged for Vincent to be arrested and jailed at Abbas’ behest, and then sent Abbas photographs of Vincent after his arrest. Kyari also allegedly sent Abbas bank account details for an account into which Abbas could deposit payment for Vincent’s arrest and imprisonment,” the plea agreement document read in part.

Refuting the claims by Hushpuppi, Kyari on Thursday took to his official Facebook page and said no money was paid to him.

According to him, Hushpuppi, two years ago, alleged that the life of his family members was threatened by one Vincent who was arrested but later released after it was realised that nobody’s life was threatened.

“Abbas who we later came to know as Hushpuppi called our office about 2years ago that somebody in Nigeria Seriously threatened to kill his Family here in Nigeria and he sent the person’s Phone number and pleaded we take action before the Person attacks his family.

“We traced and arrested the Suspect and after investigations, we discovered there wasn’t an actual threat to anyone’s life and they are long-time friends who have money issues between them hence we released the Suspect on bail to go and he was not taken to any jail.

“Nobody demanded a kobo from Abbas Hushpuppi. Our focus was to save people’s lives that were purported to have been threatened,” Kyari said.

The police boss also claimed that Hushpuppi once admired some of his outfits and sent N300,000 to his tailor to design the same outfit for him.

He stressed that the money was paid directly to his tailor and not him.

“He saw some of my Native Clothes and Caps on my social media page and he said he likes them and he was connected to the person selling the clothes and he sent about N300k directly to the person’s account. The Native Clothes and Caps (5 sets) were brought to our office and He sent somebody to Collect them in our office.

“Nobody demanded any money from Abbas Hushpuppi and nobody collected any money from him. We responded to a distress call he made on the threat to his family and released the Suspect when we discovered there was no life threat from the Suspect. This is the true story. Vincent is alive, he can be contacted.”

Kyari said further that his hands are clean and he has nothing to do with the “fictitious Big Money,” fraud that Hushpuppi was involved in.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Labour Rejects FG’s Fresh ₦54,000 Minimum Wage Proposal

Published

on

NLC Flag
Share

 

The Federal Government has proposed to pay N54,000 as minimum wage, as the Tripartite Committee on the New Minimum Wage returned to the negotiation table after the Organised Labour pulled out of the negotiations last week.

At the reconvened meeting this week, the Federal Government made a fresh proposal to pay N54,000 as against the initial N48,000 it proposed during the last sitting.

However, a reliable source at the meeting said that the Organised Labour refused the new proposal, as it is a far cry from the N615,000 proposed by both the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

According to the source, the meeting which held behind closed doors at the Nicon luxury hotel in Abuja on Tuesday has been adjourned to Wednesday, May 22 to continue with negotiations.

The Organised Labour comprising the NLC and the TUC had on Tuesday given the Federal Government up till the end of May to conclude negotiations for a new minimum wage.

The unions also directed their members in states that are owing the N30,000 minimum wage to gear up for industrial action.

May 31 Deadline
The Federal Government had failed to present a nationally acceptable minimum wage to Nigerians before the May 1 Labour Day.

The situation has forced labour to be at loggerheads with the government. In the wake of the tussle, NLC President Joe Ajaero insisted on the N615,000 minimum wage, arguing that the amount was arrived at after an analysis of the economic situation worsened by the hike in the cost of living and the needs of an average Nigerian family of six.

With the cost of living rising following the removal of fuel subsidy, calls for a new minimum wage have continued to make headlines in Nigeria.

Ajaero and labour leaders gave the Federal Government a May 31 deadline to meet their demands.

 

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests 78 Internet Fraudsters In Enugu, Imo

Published

on

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede
Share

The operatives of the Enugu Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 78 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu and Imo States.

EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday, May 20, 2024.

Oyewale noted that 29 suspected internet fraudsters were arrested in Enugu metropolis on May 15, while 49 others were nabbed in Imo State on May 17.

He said the suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence about their suspected involvement in online criminal activities.

The EFCC spokesperson listed items recovered from the suspects to include 13 cars, mobile phones, and laptops.

Oyewale added that the suspected internet fraudsters would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.

Continue Reading

News

Lady Abandons Husband One Month After Wedding For Deceiving Her That He Lives Abroad

Published

on

Couple on Wedding Day
Couple on Wedding Day
Share

A Nigerian Lady by name Nancy has left her husband after barely one month of the traditional marriage and church wedding ceremonies which took place in Isuochi Umunneochi LGA of Abia State this last Easter Sunday 2024.

She said she discovered he has no money but was sponsored by his family to come marry her.

“He lied to me that he came back from the US and would be returning after our marriage ceremonies, but I didn’t know he was brought back to the village to live permanently by his family” she said.

“I can only go back to that nonsense marriage only if he would go back to the US as he told me earlier, if not no marriage, I no come this world to come suffer” she added.

Though, rumours in Amunda community has it that the heart broken husband a.k.a. ‘Mentor’ has been threatening the runaway wife and her family with Juju Shrine summons.

According to the rumours, Mr. Mentor’ said it’s either her family refunds him back all his expenses or return the lady to him before seven days or she will run mad and kpai.

 

Continue Reading