Connect with us

News

About 200 Islamiyya Students Kidnapped In Niger

Published

on

Scores of terrorists dead as Boko Haram, ISWAP clash in Lake Chad
Share

About 200 students of an Islamiyya school located at Tegina in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State have been abducted.

According to Report monitored on Channels Television, One person was shot dead while another lays critically injured after gunmen carried out the kidnap operation at about 4:30pm on Sunday.

A resident of the area Zayyad Mohammed confirmed the incident.

Mohammed said the Salihu Tanko Islamiyya school where the incident took place, was built by a retired Immigration Officer.

According to him, this Islamiyya school is not the usual Sangaya boarding Islamic citadel, but an unconventional one where parents send their children on a daily basis for the purpose of acquiring Islamic education.

Throwing more light on the incident, police spokesman, DSP Wasiu Abiodun said the armed bandits on board motorcycles in their numbers invaded Tegina town, Rafi LGA shooting indiscriminately.

DSP Abiodun said operatives are yet to ascertain how many children were abducted from the Salihu Tanko Islamic school.

He said the command has mobilized all tactical teams including Operation Puff Adder 2 to ensure that the abductees are rescued.

The police spokesman called for calm, saying that the force in conjunction with other security agencies will do everything possible to ensure that the children are rescued unhurt.

Similarly, the Secretary to the Niger State Government, Ahmed Matane said the government is in touch with parents in the area to know those whose children were abducted.

Mr. Matane who is the chairman of the state Security committee further revealed that while the attack in Tegina was going on, there were simultaneous attacks in Lavun LGA and some fringes of Mashegu LGA.

He said though the simultaneous attacks were overwhelming for security agencies at the time, the government in collaboration with the security agencies has mobilized troops to the various locations, including local vigilantes.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Oyebanji Is Back From USA

Published

on

Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji
Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji
Share

Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji this morning returned from his working visit to the United States of America.

A statement by the Special Adviser ( Media), to the Governor, Mr Yinka Oyebode said Oyebanji arrived the Muritala Mohammed Airport, Lagos around 10am and was received by some government officials.

The Governor will attend to some scheduled meetings in Lagos later today and head to Abuja on Thursday for other scheduled assignments.

Governor Oyebanji, in the course of the working visit to America, had extensive talks with some heads of governments and institutions, business leaders and development partners, exploring investment opportunities for the state’s power infrastructure, the Special Agriculture Processing Zone and the Ekiti Knowledge Zone, among others.

“These were outside his participation in the US-Africa Business Summit and the signing of MOU with CAVISTA Holdings for a multi billion naira 100,000 hectares cassava farm in the state.” the statement said.

Continue Reading

News

Labour Rejects FG’s Fresh ₦54,000 Minimum Wage Proposal

Published

on

NLC Flag
Share

 

The Federal Government has proposed to pay N54,000 as minimum wage, as the Tripartite Committee on the New Minimum Wage returned to the negotiation table after the Organised Labour pulled out of the negotiations last week.

At the reconvened meeting this week, the Federal Government made a fresh proposal to pay N54,000 as against the initial N48,000 it proposed during the last sitting.

However, a reliable source at the meeting said that the Organised Labour refused the new proposal, as it is a far cry from the N615,000 proposed by both the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).

According to the source, the meeting which held behind closed doors at the Nicon luxury hotel in Abuja on Tuesday has been adjourned to Wednesday, May 22 to continue with negotiations.

The Organised Labour comprising the NLC and the TUC had on Tuesday given the Federal Government up till the end of May to conclude negotiations for a new minimum wage.

The unions also directed their members in states that are owing the N30,000 minimum wage to gear up for industrial action.

May 31 Deadline
The Federal Government had failed to present a nationally acceptable minimum wage to Nigerians before the May 1 Labour Day.

The situation has forced labour to be at loggerheads with the government. In the wake of the tussle, NLC President Joe Ajaero insisted on the N615,000 minimum wage, arguing that the amount was arrived at after an analysis of the economic situation worsened by the hike in the cost of living and the needs of an average Nigerian family of six.

With the cost of living rising following the removal of fuel subsidy, calls for a new minimum wage have continued to make headlines in Nigeria.

Ajaero and labour leaders gave the Federal Government a May 31 deadline to meet their demands.

 

Continue Reading

News

EFCC Arrests 78 Internet Fraudsters In Enugu, Imo

Published

on

Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede
Share

The operatives of the Enugu Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested 78 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu and Imo States.

EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale disclosed this in a statement issued on Monday, May 20, 2024.

Oyewale noted that 29 suspected internet fraudsters were arrested in Enugu metropolis on May 15, while 49 others were nabbed in Imo State on May 17.

He said the suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence about their suspected involvement in online criminal activities.

The EFCC spokesperson listed items recovered from the suspects to include 13 cars, mobile phones, and laptops.

Oyewale added that the suspected internet fraudsters would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.

Continue Reading