Connect with us

News

A Single Carriageway Cannot Replace Two — Ojudu Demands Answers on Akure–Ado Road

Published

on

Share

 

 

 

Former presidential adviser and prominent Ekiti politician, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, has demanded explanations from the Federal Government over the current state of the Akure–Ado-Ekiti road project, alleging that the planned dual carriageway may have been abandoned after only one carriageway was rehabilitated.

 

Ojudu, in a statement, said the people of Ondo and Ekiti states had received with excitement the award and commencement of the reconstruction and dualisation of the critical road, particularly after contractors mobilised to site and began clearing the path for the second carriageway.

 

He, however, expressed concern that the project now appeared to have stalled, with heavy construction equipment reportedly withdrawn from the site and work areas becoming inactive.

 

According to him, bridges and other earthworks were constructed in anticipation of a dual carriageway, but what has ultimately been delivered appears to be only a rehabilitated single carriageway.

 

Ojudu recalled that the original contract, reportedly valued at about ₦30 billion, was awarded to Dantata & Sawoe in November 2019 before it was later cancelled.

 

He said the Federal Executive Council subsequently approved the re-award of the project on March 29, 2023, as a 50-kilometre dualisation project at an estimated cost of ₦95.98 billion.

 

He explained that the Akure–Ondo State boundary section was awarded to Samchase Nigeria Limited and Horizon Construction Company Limited for ₦46.68 billion, with a 24-month completion period, while the section from the Ekiti boundary towards Ado-Ekiti was awarded to Kopek Construction Limited for ₦49.29 billion, with a 30-month completion period.

 

The project was formally flagged off in May 2023.

 

Ojudu called on the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, to provide clarity on the status of the project and answer questions concerning its scope, funding and completion.

 

Among the questions he raised were whether the original dual carriageway contract had been revised to a single carriageway, who authorised such a change and whether the contract sum had also been reviewed.

 

He also questioned why bridges and other structures were constructed for a dual carriageway if only one carriageway was ultimately intended to be delivered.

 

Ojudu further sought clarification on whether the contractors had formally withdrawn from the site, the amount released to each contractor and the percentage of the project completed so far.

 

He urged the Federal Government to state when work on the second carriageway would resume and, most importantly, whether it remained committed to delivering the dual carriageway for which nearly ₦96 billion was approved.

 

According to him, the Akure–Ado-Ekiti road is too important to the economic and social development of Ondo and Ekiti states to be allowed to disappear into what he described as the “familiar fog of abandoned contracts, altered specifications and official silence.”

 

Ojudu maintained that a refurbished single carriageway could not be quietly substituted for a dual carriageway without a proper explanation from the authorities.

 

He said the people of the two states deserved to know what was awarded, what had been paid for, what had been delivered and what had happened to the remaining component of the project.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FCCPC Directs Producers To Recall Products With Misleading Labels 

Published

on

Share

Manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers across Nigeria have been directed to immediately withdraw consumer goods with incomplete, misleading or deceptive labels from the market.

The directive was contained in a public advisory issued by the commission’s management and shared on its official X account on Tuesday.

Market surveillance and routine inspections revealed,

FCCPC noted, an increasing number of products being sold without essential labelling information required by law.

The commission stated that some products were found with misleading claims, while others lacked production dates, expiry or best-before dates, batch numbers, manufacturer details, ingredient lists, allergen information, country of origin and other mandatory details.

“Market surveillance, routine inspections, and quality assurance activities have revealed products bearing misleading or deceptive information, as well as products without production dates, expiry or best-before dates, batch numbers, manufacturer details, ingredient lists, allergen information, country of origin, and other mandatory labelling information,” the FCCPC said.

The commission noted that it is empowered by the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act, 2018, to enforce compliance with product labelling standards in collaboration with regulatory agencies such as NAFDAC and the Standards Organisation of Nigeria.

It warned that deceptive or incomplete product labels violate consumers’ right to accurate information needed to make informed purchasing decisions and could expose them to health, safety and economic risks.

“Accordingly, the Commission directs all manufacturers, importers, distributors, and retailers to immediately review their inventories and withdraw from sale any consumer goods that do not comply with applicable labelling requirements,” the statement added.

The FCCPC further warned that businesses that continue to distribute or sell non-compliant products risk regulatory sanctions.

The commission also advised consumers to carefully inspect product labels before purchase and avoid goods with missing, altered, illegible or misleading information.

It urged members of the public to report suspected cases of non-compliance through its official complaint channels, adding that it would intensify market surveillance and enforcement efforts nationwide to strengthen consumer protection.

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA Busts Cartel , Seizes N39b Cocaine, Arrests Social Media Influencer, KC Luxury

Published

on

Share

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has announced the arrest of a drug cartel’s Nigerian ringleader, a self styled luxury goods dealer and social media influencer, as he attempted to flee to Paris. The agency has equally dismantled the alleged international cocaine trafficking cartel.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CCEO) of the NDLES, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Marwa (rtd), disclosed in a statement by the agency’s Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi.

Marwa described the operation as a major narcotics investigation that yielded 184.50 kilogrammes of cocaine, with an estimated street value of N39 billion, intercepted at a courier company.

According to him, the cartel’s arrowhead, Afolabi Kazeem Michael, known online as ‘KC Luxury,’ disguised his illicit enterprise as a legitimate luxury goods business.

Also arrested was Lawal Mujab Kehinde, a logistics staff member who processed the syndicate’s shipments to the United Kingdom, Europe, and Asia.

Marwa explained that Michael was apprehended on 13th August at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport boarding gate while attempting to board a business class flight to Paris.

Operatives recovered 7,750 euros, 2,800 pounds, and N100,000, alongside expensive jewellery, from the suspect.

A subsequent search of his Banana Island residence led to the seizure of exotic vehicles.

Marwa said: “This cartel leader did not walk into our custody voluntarily. Upon credible intelligence that he intended to flee the country, our operatives moved decisively and apprehended him at the boarding gate just as he attempted to escape the reach of the law.”

The NDLEA boss noted a worrying shift by drug trafficking organisations towards courier and logistics companies mistakenly viewing them as softer targets.

The CCEO also highlighted the international cooperation that led to near simultaneous arrests of cartel members by British authorities.

Warning drug barons, Marwa added “To those who believe they can hide behind luxury brands, glamorous lifestyles, and social media personas while trafficking poison into our communities this agency will find you.”

Continue Reading

News

Ekiti Local Content Bureau Inspects Ongoing Projects, Demands Compliance From Contractors

Published

on

Share

 

 

 

The Ekiti State Bureau of Local Content (EKSBOLC) has intensified its monitoring activities across the state, inspecting several ongoing government projects to ensure that contractors comply with the state’s local content laws and prioritise the use of local manpower, businesses, goods and services.

 

The inspection team, led by the Acting Director-General of the Bureau, Mr. Tope Fasoyin, visited a number of major project sites across Ado-Ekiti, including the ongoing remodelling of Fajuyi Park being handled by Rutnael Project Limited.

 

Other projects inspected were the ongoing construction of an 80-bed hospital at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital (EKSUTH), the construction of judges’ offices and courtrooms at the Ekiti State High Court, and the construction of an ultra-modern market at Sri Lankan, all being handled by Axial Nigeria Limited.

 

 

The team also inspected the ongoing construction of the Ministry of Innovation building at the State Secretariat, which is being handled by…………

 

 

Speaking to contractors and project managers during the inspection, Fasoyin explained that the monitoring exercise was part of the Bureau’s mandate to ensure that government projects and other economic activities in Ekiti provide meaningful opportunities for residents and businesses in the state.

 

He said the Ekiti State Bureau of Local Content was established to promote and enforce the use of local content in projects, procurement and economic activities, stressing that contractors must give first consideration to qualified Ekiti indigenes, businesses, goods, services and skills before sourcing them from outside the state.

 

 

According to him, the policy is consistent with the shared prosperity agenda of the administration of Governor Biodun Oyebanji, which places emphasis on creating economic opportunities for the people and strengthening the local economy.

 

 

Fasoyin noted that one of the core responsibilities of the Bureau was to ensure that contractors working on projects in the state employ qualified Ekiti indigenes and engage local businesses where the required capacity and expertise were available.

 

 

He added that the Bureau was also committed to building the capacity of Ekiti-based businesses to enable them to compete effectively for government and private-sector contracts.

 

 

The Acting Director-General stressed that strict compliance with the local content policy would help reduce capital flight and ensure that funds expended on projects remain within the state and circulate among local businesses, workers and service providers.

 

 

He said the multiplier effect would include increased employment opportunities, improved business activities, greater empowerment of residents and an expansion of the state’s internally generated revenue.

 

 

Fasoyin urged contractors handling government and private projects across Ekiti State to familiarise themselves with the provisions of the local content law and ensure full compliance.

 

 

He specifically called on contractors who had not registered with the Bureau to do so without delay, noting that registration was part of the requirements for contractors operating within the state.

 

 

The Acting DG further assured contractors and other stakeholders that the Bureau would continue to engage with them, provide necessary guidance and monitor compliance in order to achieve the objectives of the state’s local content policy.

 

 

He said the Bureau would not only focus on enforcement but would also work with contractors and local businesses to identify opportunities for collaboration, capacity development and economic growth.

 

 

Fasoyin maintained that effective implementation of the local content policy would strengthen Ekiti’s economy by ensuring that residents are not merely spectators in the development projects taking place across the state, but active participants and beneficiaries.

 

 

He therefore appealed to all stakeholders, particularly contractors handling major projects, to support the government’s efforts by employing local workers, patronising qualified local suppliers and service providers, and complying fully with the requirements of the Ekiti State local content framework.

 

 

The inspection exercise, he added, would continue across project sites in the state as part of efforts by the Bureau to ensure transparency, compliance and maximum economic benefits Ekiti indigenes from projects being executed in Ekiti.

Continue Reading