Connect with us

Crime

18 Year Old Boy strangles Mother to death for calling him Bastard

Published

on

Crime symbol
Share

 

An Akure Chief Magistrates’ Court,  weekend, ordered the remand of 18-year-old Tope Momoh, for allegedly strangling his 52-year-old mother, Stella Momoh to death.

Police Prosecutor, Nelson Akintimehin, said that the defendant was arraigned for murder.

According to Akintimehin, the defendant committed the offence at midnight on September 6, 2022, at Ikakumi Akoko, in Ondo state.

He informed the court that Tope strangled his mother to death in the middle of the night for calling him a bastard.

He said the defendant confessed he was responsible for his mother’s death two weeks after she had been buried.

The Prosecutor said that the cause of the death of the victim was not immediately known when she died until her son confessed to being the perpetrator.

“Tope,  in his confession,  said he was forced to tell his relatives that he strangled his mother to death when she woke him up at midnight, raining curses on him and calling him a bastard repeatedly.”

The prosecutor said the offence contravenes Section 319(1)of the Criminal Code, Cap 37, Vol. II Law of Ondo State, 2006.

The defendant pleaded with the court that: “I did not have rest of mind since my mother has been buried. So, I was forced to confess that I strangled her to death. So, I  want the court to show me mercy.”

However, the prosecutor, urged the court to remand the defendant in a custodial centre, pending the outcome of advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The defendant’s plea was not taken as Chief Magistrate Musa Al-Yunnus ordered his remand at the Olokuta Correctional Centre.

Al-Yunnus, therefore, adjourned the case till October 20, 2022, for a ruling.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Gunmen Assassinate Labour Party Women Leader in Kaduna

Published

on

Victoria-Chimtex
Victoria-Chimtex
Share

The women leader of the Labour Party in the Kaura Local Government Area of Kaduna State, Mrs Victoria Chimtex, has been assassinated by unknown gunmen.

She was said to have been killed on Monday night by the gunmen who invaded her residence at about 8 pm and shot at her.

The victim’s husband was also said to have been shot and was rushed to the hospital.

Although the police authorities were yet to confirm the incident, the Chairman of the Labour Party in Kaduna, Peter Hassan, told Channels Television that the victim was a very hard-working and very ‘Obidient’ women leader of the party in the Kaura Local Government Area.

Hassan disclosed that the gunmen shot the victim several times in her leg and spinal cord which led to her immediate death.

He also explained that the gunmen rejected the monetary offer made by the husband of the victim for them to spare her life.

Her death comes three years after a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) women leader, Salome Abuh, was shot and set ablaze at her residence in the Ofu Local Government Area of Kogi State.

Continue Reading

Crime

Alleged Homicide: Kano Govt Re-Arraigns Chinese National

Published

on

Share

 

The Kano State Government on Thursday re-arraigned a Chinese national, Frank Geng-Quangrong, 47, before a Kano High Court for the alleged murder of his Nigerian girlfriend, Ummukulsum Sani, 22.

Frank, who lives at Railway Quarters Kano is charged with culpable homicide.

The court had on Oct.4, ordered the Kano Govt to provide an interpreter for the defendant.

When the case came up for re-arraignment, the Prosecutor, who is also the Attorney General of Kano State, Musa Abdullahi-Lawan, presented Mr Guo Cumru, from the Chinese Embassy to interpret English to Chinese Language to the defendant.

He told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Sept.16, at Janbulo Quarters Gwale Local Government Area of Kano.

The prosecutor alleged that on the same date at about 9 p.m the defendant stabbed Sani with a knife in her house at Janbulo quarters Kano for undisclosed reasons.

“We are ready and intend to present five witnesses, we don’t want to take much time as the interpreter is from Abuja,” he said.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Abdullahi-Lawan said that the offence contravened the provisions of Section 221(b) of the Penal Code.

Mr Muhammad Umar, who held brief for the nominal complainant.

Responding to the Defence Counsel, Mr Muhammad Dan’azumi, earlier objected that in a criminal case there is no procedure for holding a brief.

Justice Sanusi Ado-Ma’aji ordered the remand of the defendant to a correctional centre.

He adjourned the matter until Nov.16, Nov. 17 and Nov. 18, for a hearing.

The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) reports that the defendant was first charged before a Chief Magistrate’s court because the State Counsel raised an objection insisting that the lower court lacked jurisdiction to hear such a criminal suit.

Continue Reading

Crime

King’s son sends cultists to eliminate his father in Ogun

Published

on

Suspected Cultists
Share

 

Six suspected members of Eiye cult group were on Sunday, September 11 arrested by men of Ogun state Police command while attempting to kill a traditional ruler in his palace.

A statement released by SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, spokesperson of the state police command, gave the names of the suspects as Michael Ayodele, Monday Samuel, Ademola Matthew, Hammed Jelili, Ogundele Ojeh and Sunkanmi Fadina. He said the suspects were arrested following a distress call received at Oja odan divisional headquarters from the Oba of Gbokoto land, Oba G.O Olukunle, at about 4:25 pm, that some cultists were about to kill him in his palace .

”Upon the distress call, the DPO Oja- Odan division, quickly mobilized his men and moved to the palace, where they met the hoodlums shooting sporadically within the palace.

The policemen engaged them in shootout and eventually subdued the cultists and got six amongst them arrested.

On interrogation, the arrested suspects confessed been members of the dreaded Eiye confraternity. They also informed the police that, it was the son of the Oba who is now at large that invited them to come and eliminate his father because of an unresolved issue the Oba has been having with his mother. ”Oyeyemi said

The police spokesperson added that Items recovered from them include one locally made double barrel pistol, two live cartridges and one expended cartridge, while the son of the Oba who has taken to flight was said to have escaped with another gun belonging to the group.

He added that the state Commissioner of Police, CP Lanre Bankole has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to State Criminal Investigation Departments for discreet investigation with the view to charge them to court on the conclusion of the investigation.

The CP also ordered a massive manhunt for the fleeing son of the Oba in order to bring him to justice.

Continue Reading