Connect with us

Defence and Security

Buhari approves additional security personnel to check insecurity in Imo

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari and I o State Governor Hope Uzodimma
Share

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved deployment of additional security personnel to unravel the perpetrators of violence in Imo and ensure peace in the state.

Gov. Hope Uzodimma of Imo, made this known when he briefed State House correspondents on the outcome of his summon to Presidential Villa, Abuja, by the president on Monday.

According to the governor, the president has agreed to his request for more security personnel to address the security challenges facing the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the governor was summoned following the latest attacks in Imo targeting the home of Prof. George Obiozor, and some police assets.

Obiozor is the President General of the Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo, and a leading voice of moderation in the affairs of the country.

Uzodinma, who confirmed that the meeting was on the insecurity in his State and the South East, said:

“Generally, it is the subject of insecurity in the South East and what is required to ensure that is properly controlled.

“We discussed that and he took seriously my recommendations and indeed I tell you, he immediately gave approval to all that which includes increase in manpower of security agencies and then logistics supports ranging from additional arms and ammunitions.’’

On his efforts to meet aggrieved parties as promised, he said his administration has continued to reach out to aggrieved politicians in the state in a bid to carry them along so that they could contribute their quota to the growth and development of the State.

He said: “Since Jan. 2020, when I came to office, one of the things I initiated was quarterly stakeholders’ meeting.

“As a matter of fact, I have had six stakeholders’ engagements. And the purpose of that engagement is to create a platform where the stakeholders will meet and will also act as an opinion poll to involve people in governance and that has yielded a lot of positive results.

“Arising from that, we have also done one on one engagement with some critical stakeholders.

“For those who are aggrieved, I don’t know if those grievances are against government or against individuals.

“But those who think are part of the political system that are not contributing positively to the current administration, we’re also reaching out to them.

“Of course, I know if anything is to go by, some of the reasonable ones have started coming back.

“If you have been following the politics of Imo of late, given the evolution we have just deployed to rescue the infrastructure, that were almost absent and our achievements so far, it has attracted a lot of support from our people.

“Leaders from Imo are together and united in commending our efforts. And if you can go to Imo State and be on ground, apart from some dissenting voices that are on your social media, I think the state is almost recovered and we’re doing very, very well.

“So, there’s no need at this point in time for people to be aggrieved over what is not in existence.’’

The governor, therefore, urged the people to be part of the growing concern, and contribute their quota towards the development of the state and support the government of the day to deliver democratic dividends.

“We need to unite ourselves, we need to be realistic with ourselves, we need to be proactive in making sure that our tomorrow is better,’’ he added.

Uzodinma also dismissed the allegation that he was culpable in some cases of insecurity in the state.

According to him, his administration with all the paraphernalia of office does not engage non-state actors in its attempt to keep peace.

“If anything is to go by, we are a God fearing government. That is why we have not used force as the only way of controlling the violence in Imo State,’’ he said.

However, the governor, who lamented that progress could not be achieved in a chaotic situation, called on the aggrieved individuals and organisations to lay down arms and engage in the dialogue initiated by the state government.

NAN reports that the president had on Sunday condemned the spate of violence in Imo in the aftermath of the destruction of buildings and assets of the Police and the home of Prof. Obiozor, President-General of Ohaneze Ndigbo.

He pledged to review the security situation in southeast part of the country.

The president, who also summoned the Minister of Power Abubakar Aliyu, had also voiced his concern over the frequent power outages, apologising to Nigerians and assuring a quick relief to the situation.

Aliyu, who spoke to State House correspondents after the closed door meeting with the president, reassured that the current epileptic electricity supply nationwide would soon be stabilised.

He said the problem was caused by the activities of vandals, inadequate gas supply, and maintenance of some electrical machinery. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Defence and Security

New Defence Spokesman Assumes Office, Seeks Support From Media

Published

on

Brig.-Gen. Tukur Gusau and Maj.-Gen. Jimmy Akpor.
Brig.-Gen. Tukur Gusau and Maj.-Gen. Jimmy Akpor.
Share

The new Acting Director, Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Tukur Gusau, on Tuesday took over the Directorate of Defence Information from the erstwhile director, Maj.-Gen. Jimmy Akpor.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Akpor was moved to Army Headquarters as Director Personnel Services.

Gusau commended his predecessor for forging better relationship with the media which helped to positively project the operations of the armed forces.

He also appreciated the media for the continuous support of the armed forces, and called for stronger relationship between the military and the media on matters of national security.

“I urge you to provide the enabling environment for members of the armed forces of Nigeria to perform their constitutional roles without distractions.

“As the nation gradually approach the coming general elections starting from next month, I urge you to avoid reports capable of affecting the morale of our gallant troops and the credibility of our armed forces,” he said.

Gusau assured that the armed forces would assist media practitioners to discharge their duties where necessary.

He added that the military would also support other government agencies to achieve peaceful and credible elections across the country.

The director described the military and the media as partners in progress, saying the two should strive to promote the interest of the country at all times.

“I urge you to offer me the same support, cooperation and understanding which you have rendered to Maj.-Gen. Akpor as Director of Defence Information,” he said.

In his remarks, Akpor said the media and the military now have deep understanding of their responsibilities.

He said the Chief of Defence Staff had done so much in forging enduring relationship with the media.

Akpor said this was necessary because the media, like the military, has crucial role to play in creating peaceful and orderly environment for all citizens.

He commended the CDS for holding two media parleys with editors and media chief executives where fruitful discussions led to better understanding of the responsibilities of each profession in furtherance of national security.

Akpor, who tagged his speech the “Truth About the Armed Forces of Nigeria”, said the Nigerian military has rich history of great exploits.

He cited the North East where life has been returning to normal due to the efforts of the military after over a decade of insurgency.

According to him, there was bumper agricultural harvest in 2022, and for the first time in 13 years, Independence Day parade was held in Maiduguri on Oct. 1, 2022.

“Irrespective of the security challenges confronting the nation and the way they mutate, the armed forces will continue to build requisite capabilities through the support of the Federal Government.

“Whilst there were 48 piracy/armed robbery related incidents in Nigeria’s territorial waters in 2018, 35 in 2019, 35 in 2020 and six in 2021, there was none in 2022.

“This was not due to wishful thinking, but due to dogged efforts of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and availability of the critical assets provided.

“The truth about the armed forces is therefore a professional one rooted in its desire to meet its constitutional imperatives,” he said.

Akpor, therefore, urged the media to extend the same support given him to his successor, for him to discharge his responsibilities effectively.

NAN reports that the new spokesperson, Brig.-Gen. Gusau, is a thorough bred public relations professional who has served in different units, formations and military operations both at home and abroad.

 

 

(NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

Police Disperse Suspected Kidnappers In Nasarawa, Rescue 30 Victims

Published

on

kidnap victims
kidnap victims
Share

The Nasarawa State Command of the Nigerian Police said it has dispersed suspected kidnappers at Saraduana forest in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State and rescued thirty victims.

The police said it carried out a joint operation with operatives of Miyetti Allah Vigilante Group after receiving information about the unwholesome practice of the kidnappers in the area.

According to a statement by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Ramhan Nansel, the kidnappers who were trailed to their enclave dispersed in disarray deep into the forest on sighting the operatives.

DSP Nansel said the Commissioner of Police has ordered continuous combing of the Forest and applauded the courageous effort of the police operatives and Miyetti Allah Vigilante Group for a job well done.

He added that the Commissioner further assured members of the public that the operation will be sustained in order to rid the general area of suspected Criminals.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

Bandits kill 7 NSCDC personnel, five others in Kaduna

Published

on

NSCDC Personnel
NSCDC Personnel
Share

Seven personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were ambushed and killed by bandits in Kaduna State on Monday, the Corps announced on Tuesday.

It added that they were killed alongside five others from a sister security agency and local security service.

The personnel, who were attached to the Kaduna State Ministry of Mines, were on official duty at a mining site in Birnin Gwari Local Government of Kaduna State, The Nation gathered in Abuja.

According to the Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC,  Olusola Odumosu, the incident occurred on Monday at about 10.00hrs at the Kuriga mining site in Birnin Gwari LGA.

Odumosu said in a statement: “After the attack, the bandits carted away riffles of the slain operatives.

“The remains of the slain officers and men have been recovered and deposited at the Barau Diko Hospital Kaduna.

“The Commandant General, Dr Ahmed Abubakar Audi,  described the unfortunate incident as a big loss to the Corps, families of the slain victims and the nation.”

He commiserated with the families and friends of the deceased and prayed that God grants them the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.

“In honour of the slain personnel, the CG has directed that the Corps’ flag be hoisted at half-mast and that a national prayer involving both Christians and muslims be organised at the Corps National headquarters, Abuja, to pray for Gods protection for all officers and men of the Corps in the new year and avert a recurrence of such awful incident,” he stated.

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading