Connect with us

Judiciary

Uber driver docked over alleged theft of employer’s N2.5m car

Published

on

Symbol of Justice
Share

 

A 32-year-old Uber driver, Ifeanyi Emmanuel, was on Monday brought before a Sabo, Yaba magistrates’ court in Lagos for allegedly stealing a Toyota Camry car valued N2.5million from his employer.

Emmanuel, who resides in Oke-Arin area of Ogun state, is facing a two-count charge of stealing and breach of employment contract.

He pleaded not guilty.

Police prosecutor, Insp. Magaji Haruna, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Sept. 15, 2020, at No. 15, Noble str., in Alagomeji area of Yaba, Lagos.

According to him, the defendant was sometime in 2019, given a Toyota Camry car with Registration No. KTU 498 FE, by the complainant, Mr Sanusi Gafar, to drive on the Uber platform.

He said that the defendant had agreed to pay N30,000 to the complainant every week but went ahead to illegally sell the car to another person.

He stated that the defendant removed the tracker in the car, changed his phone number and moved out of his house so he could not be traced.

Haruna said that the complainant got to know of the car sale when the buyer got his number from the car documents and called him, asking for the originals of the car papers.

The offence contravened Section 287 (1) and 212 (1) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Section 287 (1) prescribes a three-year jail term for the offence of stealing.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs O.Y. Adefope, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N500,000 with two responsible sureties in like sum.

She said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of three years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

She adjourned the case until April 4, for mention.

 

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Judiciary

Appeal Court Declines Oyetola’s Request To Move Tribunal To Abuja

Published

on

Osun State Governor Gboyega Oyetola
Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola
Share

 

The Appeal Court in Abuja has rejected Governor Gboyega Oyetola’s request to relocate the sitting of the tribunal to Abuja.

The Chief Registrar Court of Appeal, Bangari Umar, in a letter titled: RE: PETITION NO, EPT/OS/GOV/01/2022, ADEGBOYEGA ISIAKA OYETOLA & ANOR V. INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION & 2 ORS, on Friday rejected the proposal of Oyetola, the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s candidate in the July 16 governorship election.

According to the note, Oyetola on August 23, wrote to the President of the Court, Justice M.B Dongban Mensem, on the subject matter.

The Court of Appeal noted that after due consultation on, and consideration of Oyetola’s request, the President of the Court was unable to accede to the proposal as the security agencies in the state have assured the Court of their cooperation and support in enhancing the security of the Tribunal and its sittings.

The letter read: “Kindly refer to your letter to the Hon. President of the Court of Appeal, dated 23rd August 2022 on the above subject matter.

“I am directed by the Honourable President, Hon. Justice M.B Dongban Mensem to inform you that after due consultation on, and consideration of your request to move the Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal currently sitting in Osogbo to Abuja, the Hon. President is unable to accede to your request as the security agencies in the State have assured the Court of their co-operation and support in enhancing the security of the Tribunal and its sittings.”

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Appeal Court Sets Aside N20bn Damages Awarded to Sunday Igboho

Published

on

Symbol of Justice and Sunday Igboho
Share

 

The Appeal Court in Ibadan on Tuesday has set aside N20 billion damages awarded to Sunday Igboho last year after the violent invasion of his residence in Ibadan.

Adeyemo had gone to court challenging the action which led to the death of some of his aides.

In its sitting, the Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan nullified the judgement of an Oyo State High Court which awarded N20 billion damages to the Yoruba self-determination activist, popularly known as Igboho.

Delivering the judgement in an appeal filed by the Attorney General of the Federation, State Security Service and Director, State Security Service in Oyo State, Justice Muslim Hassan held that Justice Ladiran Akintola, who delivered the judgement on September 17, 2021, acted on the wrong principles of law in awarding the cost to Igboho.

He said that Justice Akintola can’t assess damages claimed by Igboho using his own conceived parameters.

Justice Hassan thereby set aside the earlier judgment which declared the attack on the house of Yoruba nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo illegal.

The court also nullified the N20 billion exemplary and aggravated damages awarded against the Department of State Security (DSS) for the attack, describing it as outrageous.

Justice Hassan held that the Oyo High Court ignored the merit of the case while assuming jurisdiction, adding that the judge should not have awarded damages based on his personal parameters.

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court Denies Abba Kyari Bail for the second time, Fixes October 19 For Trial

Published

on

Abba Kyari
Share

 

The Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed October 19, 20 and 21 as the trial dates for the embattled Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari and four others.

Justice Emeka Nwite fixed the trial dates in his ruling on Tuesday in Abuja.

He equally declined to grant bail to suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari and four others.

They are being prosecuted by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) on allegations bordering on a cocaine deal.

Kyari was arraigned alongside four suspended police officers including ACP Sunday Ubia, ASP James, Inspector Simon Agirigba and Inspector John Nuhu as 2nd to 5th defendants respectively.

Ruling on the bail application, Justice Emeka Nwite said the applicants failed to present sufficient materials and evidence to warrant the granting of the fresh application.

Justice Nwite, therefore, reaffirmed his earlier ruling of March 28, 2022, ordering an accelerated hearing.

According to the judge, Kyari and his other co-applicants did not show exceptional circumstances to warrant them being granted bail.

This is the second time the court would reject Kyari and others’ bail applications, having earlier turned down a similar request in April this year.

Meanwhile, the suspects are to be remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja, pending the commencement of their trial in October.

Continue Reading