Connect with us

News

WE’LL WALK FOR PEACE WITH YOU, LASU STUDENTS TELL SANWO-OLU

Published

on

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Share

…As Governor Commissions Biggest Students’ Arcade In Nigeria

Lagos State University (LASU) students on Thursday expressed their readiness to participate in the proposed Peace Walk, being organised by the State Government to herald the healing of Lagos in the aftermath of last year’s EndSARS protests in the State.

The students of the state-owned tertiary institution who came out in large numbers to welcome the Governor, who is also the Visitor of the institution, said they have all resolved to participate in “A Walk for Peace” with the Governor for peace and prosperity of the State.

LASU students made their resolve on the Peace Walk known through their Student Union President, Comrade Oladipupo Uthman Badmus on Thursday during the sitting of the Students Representatives Council, the legislative arms of the Students Union Government.

The sitting was the first Council session to be held at the newly built Students Arcade of the school, which was commissioned by Governor Sanwo-Olu on Thursday.

The LASU Students Arcade is the largest Student Union Building in any Nigerian tertiary institution.

Speaking during the sitting, which was witnessed by Governor Sanwo-Olu, the Vice Chancellor of LASU, Prof. Ibiyemi Tunji-Bello, Special Adviser to Governor on Education, Mr. Tokunbo Wahab and members of the institution’s Governing Board, among others, President of the Student Union, Comrade Oladipupo Uthman Badmus and Speaker of the Students Representatives Council, Rt. Hon. Mustapha Adejuwon, who led students to welcome Governor Sanwo-Olu described him as Youth-Centric Governor.

They commended the Governor’s giant strides in Lagos State, especially in the education sector.

“To Mr. Governor, Sir, it is what you signed up for but we are indebted to you. Be rest assured, whenever you walk, we will work with you. We will be by your side. Whenever you run, we will run with you to the end,” Badmus assured on behalf of LASU students.

Governor Sanwo-Olu who had the first session with the Students Representatives Council, charged the students to join hands with the State Government and LASU management for the institution to make it competitive among notable universities in the world.

Governor Sanwo-Olu during the sitting announced a donation of two brand new big buses to the Student Union to ease movement around the campus as well as other gadgets and equipment for students’ use.

He said: “I want to tell you that we are in this journey together and together, we will build the biggest university in the whole of Africa and it will compete with the greatest universities in the entire world.

“I feel highly honoured that all of you have turned out in large numbers to come and see the possibilities of what we can do collectively.

“This arcade will provide the right atmosphere for the leadership of the Student Union of LASU and opportunity for students management better relationship. It would provide an opportunity to engage with the wonderful youths in LASU, because this is also a building to develop the future leaders that are leaders here today.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Buhari Pledge to Rescue Kaduna Train Attack Hostages

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

 

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday assured to rescue 31 hostages taken in a train attack and return them “safe and unhurt”, his office said, five months after their abduction.

Gangs of bandits with no ideological or religious motives are known to kidnap for ransom in northwest and central Nigeria.

On March 28, armed men blew up a train travelling between Abuja and Kaduna and opened fire, killing eight people, wounding 26, and taking an unspecified number of passengers hostage.

A week later, they freed one hostage — a top bank executive — as a goodwill gesture for Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting, because of his “advanced age”.

Dozens of hostages have already been freed following negotiations, but 31 remain in the kidnappers den.

“I have been informed that at last count, there remain about 31 people in the hands of the kidnappers,” Buhari told representatives of the families of the hostages in Abuja on Thursday.

He said his government would ensure the safe return of the remaining hostages to their families.

“My primary concern is to get everyone released safe and unhurt,” he assured.
The president commended the security forces on recent successes against kidnappers and “terrorists”.

“In the past couple of days, you must have heard about the number of terrorists neutralised by the military, and a number of hostages freed. These efforts will not stop, or reduce,” he said.

“We must take the fight to the terrorists and demonstrate that there is no hiding place for them within the borders of our country,” he said.

“Each one of them will be hunted, and pursued and spoken to in the language that they understand,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Five Guards Brigade Killed By Bandits Buried In Abuja

Published

on

Five Guards Brigade Killed By Bandits Buried In Abuja
Share

 

The Nigerian Army on Thursday buried five members of the Guards Brigade killed by bandits during a clearance operation in the Federal Capital Territory recently.

The soldiers were laid to rest at the Guards Brigade Cemetery, Maitama , Abuja, according to a statement by Guards Brigade spokesperson, Captain Godfrey Anebi Abakpa

Among the deceased was Captain Attah Samuel.

“Until their demise, the gallant soldiers were serving with 7 Guards Battalion, Lungi Barracks Maitama and 176 Guards Battalion Gwagwalada in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja respectively,” the statement said.

“While reading the funeral oration of the deceased officer and soldiers, the Commanding Officers of 7 Guards Battalion Lt Col Salim Yusuf Hassan and Commanding Officer 176 Guards Battalion, Lt Col Joshuah Kolowale Adisa described the late Captain and Soldiers as thoroughly bred Infantrymen who were genuinely committed to their duties in defence of Nigeria and whose contribution and services would be greatly missed.

“They asked God to console the families left behind stressing that while the Brigade and the Nigerian Army mourns, the families should take solace in the fact that they have fought a just fight and their souls shall continue to rest with the lord till the resurrection morning.

“Highpoint of the event was the presentation of accoutrements by the representative of the Chief of Army Staff, Maj Gen James Alilu Ataguba to the next of kins of the deceased personnel and lowering of the remains of the fallen heroes.

There was also the blowing of the last post and gun salute to bid the departed heroes fair well

“The burial process started with Christian wake keep and funeral service held in honour of the fallen heroes at St John’s Military Church (Protestant) before the final Internment at the Guards Brigade Cemetery Maitama Abuja.

“The solemn ceremony was witnessed by senior officers of the Nigerian Army, Commanding Officers, Staff Officers of the Brigade, Bwari Area Council Chairman, Hon John Gabaya as well as family members and the barracks community.”

Continue Reading

News

Two More ISWAP Terrorists Linked To Owo Church Attack Arrested – DHQ

Published

on

Chief of Defence Staff, General Leo Irabor
Share

 

Two more Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists linked to the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo state, have been arrested.

Gunmen had on June 5 stormed the Catholic church, killing over 40 worshippers and injuring others.

The incident drew widespread condemnation, with President Muhammadu Buhari ordering security agencies to arrest the attackers.

On June 9, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, blamed the attack on ISWAP, but the claim was countered by Ondo state Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu.

Just yesterday, the Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, announced that the gunmen behind the attack on the church have been arrested.

But in a statement on Wednesday, the Director of Defence Information, Jimmy Akpor, said the two suspected ISWAP fighters were arrested through the collaborative effort of the military and the Department of State Services (DSS).

“Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022,” Akpor said.

“They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022.

“Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.

“Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of 4 of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, 2 additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, 9 August 2022.

“The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris.

“It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties.”

Continue Reading