Connect with us

Defence and Security

Sokoto Urges FG To Suspend Telecoms Blockade

Published

on

Sokoto State Govrrnor Aminu Tambuwal
Share

The Sokoto State Government over the weekend said it has asked the Federal Government to suspend its telecoms blockade on 14 local government areas of the state.

The blockade had been imposed in September as part of efforts to clampdown on bandits operating in the North-West.

A similar blockade is in effect in parts of Zamfara and Kaduna states.

But after “an enlarged security council meeting on the fallout of bandits attack on Goronyo market which claimed the lives of 43 people last week”, the Sokoto State Government said it was necessary to review the blockade.

“According to Gov. (Aminu) Tambuwal, the call for the rescinding of the blockade became necessary in view of concerns expressed by security outfits in the state that the outage was affecting the smooth conduct of their works,” a statement signed by Tambuwal’s spokesperson, Muhammad Bello, said.

“He said the state government has already forwarded a letter to the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy to review the internet blockade.”

The statement said Tambuwal disclosed the state’s decision when he received, on Saturday, the North-East Governors Forum (NEGF) represented by Governors of Borno and Gombe state, Prof. Babagana Aymara Zulum and Alhaji Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya respectively.

The North-East Governors were paying a condolence visit to the state over the recent bandit attacks in the state.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Defence and Security

Insecurity: Zamfara Restricts Motorcycles, Orders House Search To Flush Out Suspected Terrorists

Published

on

Zamfara State Governor Bello Matawalle
Share

 

As part of measures to contain the security challenges in Zamfara, Governor Bello Matawalle has ordered the restriction on motorcycle movement in communities on the outskirt of Gusau from 9 pm till dawn.

The governor gave the directive on Tuesday after an expanded Security Council meeting that lasted for more than eight hours.

In a statewide broadcast after the meeting, Matawalle ordered security operatives to begin a house-to-house search to flush out criminal elements in the 19 emirates of the state as the residents continue to live at the mercy of bandits.

He stated that motorcycle riders who refuse to stop for search and who move after the designated hours should be shot on sight as terrorists and bandits now use a lot of motorcycles.

“This measure is a part of government’s efforts to tackle insecurity in the state, as the government is concerned over the usage of hotels by terrorists and criminals to perpetrate their heinous activities in the state,” the governor said.

The measure, the governor explained, followed reports of the use of motorcycles by bandits and other criminal elements to commit crimes within the state capital and its environs.

He equally ordered hotel operators to scrutinise guests by means of a valid identification before accommodating them.

“Any hotelier found violating the new order will have his hotel shut down and face prosecution according to the law. The state government would not take it lightly with anyone found disturbing the peace and security of the people,” Matawalle said, reiterating the state government’s commitment to protecting the lives and property of the people.

The Council directed security operatives, particularly military and police, to scale up efforts to fight bandits and other criminals in Zamfara.

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

Police beef up Security Network Around Schools, Hospitals

Published

on

IGP Usman Alkali Baba
Share

 

The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, has ordered the deployment of adequate security around schools, hospitals and critical national infrastructures across the country.

Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday said the IGP has also ordered regular patrols, stop and search raids, and show of force by tactical commanders to clamp down on pockets of crime and criminality in some states of the federation.

“The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, has ordered the deployment of water-tight security arrangements to cover all schools, hospitals, health workers, and critical national infrastructures around the country,” the statement added.
“The IGP has equally ordered regular patrols, stop and search, raids, and show of force by tactical commanders to clamp down on pockets of crime and criminality recorded in some states of the federation.”

Baba gave the directive while reviewing the reports he received from various commands and formations on the general security situations across the country.

He tasked strategic police managers at various levels to prioritize the use of intelligence gathering networks while charging officers and men of the force to take the fight against crime to the doorsteps of suspected criminal elements with a view to flushing them from their hideouts.

The IGP also called for the cooperation of members of the public, warning police officers to be civil, professional, and humane in the course of discharging their duties.

Continue Reading

Defence and Security

Suspects Linked To Owo Church Massacre Arrested – General Irabor

Published

on

Chief of Defence Staff, General Leo Irabor
Share

 

The Suspects Linked to terror attack on the Saint Francis Catholic Church in Owo, have been arrested.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Leo Irabor disclosed this on Tuesday during a parley with executives and editors of media organisations in Nigeria.

General Irabor said the attackers were arrested during joint operations involving the Armed Forces, the Department of Security Services (DSS) and the police.

About 40 people were killed when the gunmen stormed the church on June 5, opened fire on the congregation, and also detonated explosives as the worshippers scampered for safety.

Earlier, operatives of Amotekun Corps in Ondo State had arrested some suspects in connection with the killings.

Briefing journalists in Akure on June 23, the state Commander of Amotekun, Adetunji Adeleye, expressed assurance that all the attackers of the worship center would be apprehended.

Adeleye, however, did not give the actual figure of the suspected terrorists arrested.

“As regards the Owo incident, we have recovered the last vehicle they used for that operation and we made some arrests and we have also recovered some vital things which we are working on,” he said.

“A number of people have been arrested concerning the Owo issue as well as a well number of equipment. On that day, we pursued them to the point that we recovered the vehicle and we are still pursuing them We have told you that until we get to the root, I can assure you that the perpetrators and their sponsors will be brought to book.”

Continue Reading