Connect with us

News

Sanwo-Olu urges responders to collaborate with locals during disasters

Published

on

Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu
Share

Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, Wife of the Lagos State Governor, has urged all agencies of emergency responders to ensure proper coordination with the locals at incident scenes in order to manage and prevent disasters.

Sanwo-Olu said this at the Y2021 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction held at Alausa, Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the event is observed annually to promote a global culture of risk awareness and disaster reduction.

The theme for this year is “Disaster Risk Governance: International Cooperation for Delivering Countries to Reduce their Disaster Risk and Disaster Losses.”

The governor’s wife commended Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) for effective and timely responses during emergencies.

She urged them to forge ahead in preventing and managing disasters and as well ensure proper coordination between the Agency’s officials and the locals at incident scenes.

In his remarks, Mr Tayo Bamgbose-Martins, Commissioner, Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relations, said that the state’s THEMES Agenda showed the premium placed on the wellbeing of residents especially in providing security and emergency facilities in the state.

Bamgbose-Martins stated that as at Sept. 30, LASEMA had responded to over 1,300 major emergencies, saving lives and property worth billion.

He said: “These incidents have not only affected the state but also individual households and businesses experienced losses.”

The commissioner, therefore, urged everyone to always prepare for emergencies and to always ensure disaster risk assessment.

Earlier in his welcome address, Mr Oluwafemi Oke-Osanyintolu, Director General, LASEMA, reiterated the need to build statewide capacity and to collaborate and strengthen efforts in pratically reducing disaster risk creation through effective disaster risk reduction.
Oke-Osanyintolu noted that working together was the solution when talking about disaster risk management.

According to him, “LASEMA stands ready to support Moving from commitment to Action”

“In the last decade, we have witnessed a steady increase in the number and magnitude of emergencies and disasters in Lagos State; some of these have caused tremendous economic damages and with losses of thousands of human lives.

“LASEMA is responsible for the coordination of both natural disasters and complex emergencies
“LASEMA has responded to nearly every major disaster in the state. In so doing, it has accumulated considerable knowledge and experience,” he said.

The director general also stated that in disaster response, LASEMA had developed a comprehensive system.

He added that the system included a 24-hour duty system, deployment of pre-hospital care team, issuing situation reports, increasing its efforts to support strengthened resilience, and immediate relief to the internally displaced through a network of local emergency responders.

Also Speaking, Dr Soji Adeniyi, Convener, Africa Network for Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development, advised Nigerians to create awareness around the risks faced everyday.

According to Adeniyi, hazards come with risk but it should be properly managed to avoid disasters.

”I advise everyone to always ensure disaster risk assessment to avoid disasters.”

NAN reports that the highlight of the event was the award of recognition to the wife of the Governor, Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu and officials from state emergency agencies.

These are LASEMA, Lagos State Fire Service, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, Lagos State Neighborhood Safety Corp, State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit, Red Cross, among others.
The event was also attended by National Emergency Management Agency, Partners from Yobe, Ogun, Oyo, Kaduna, and other sister Emergency Agencies, among others. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Buhari Pledge to Rescue Kaduna Train Attack Hostages

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari
Share

 

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday assured to rescue 31 hostages taken in a train attack and return them “safe and unhurt”, his office said, five months after their abduction.

Gangs of bandits with no ideological or religious motives are known to kidnap for ransom in northwest and central Nigeria.

On March 28, armed men blew up a train travelling between Abuja and Kaduna and opened fire, killing eight people, wounding 26, and taking an unspecified number of passengers hostage.

A week later, they freed one hostage — a top bank executive — as a goodwill gesture for Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting, because of his “advanced age”.

Dozens of hostages have already been freed following negotiations, but 31 remain in the kidnappers den.

“I have been informed that at last count, there remain about 31 people in the hands of the kidnappers,” Buhari told representatives of the families of the hostages in Abuja on Thursday.

He said his government would ensure the safe return of the remaining hostages to their families.

“My primary concern is to get everyone released safe and unhurt,” he assured.
The president commended the security forces on recent successes against kidnappers and “terrorists”.

“In the past couple of days, you must have heard about the number of terrorists neutralised by the military, and a number of hostages freed. These efforts will not stop, or reduce,” he said.

“We must take the fight to the terrorists and demonstrate that there is no hiding place for them within the borders of our country,” he said.

“Each one of them will be hunted, and pursued and spoken to in the language that they understand,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Five Guards Brigade Killed By Bandits Buried In Abuja

Published

on

Five Guards Brigade Killed By Bandits Buried In Abuja
Share

 

The Nigerian Army on Thursday buried five members of the Guards Brigade killed by bandits during a clearance operation in the Federal Capital Territory recently.

The soldiers were laid to rest at the Guards Brigade Cemetery, Maitama , Abuja, according to a statement by Guards Brigade spokesperson, Captain Godfrey Anebi Abakpa

Among the deceased was Captain Attah Samuel.

“Until their demise, the gallant soldiers were serving with 7 Guards Battalion, Lungi Barracks Maitama and 176 Guards Battalion Gwagwalada in the Federal Capital Territory Abuja respectively,” the statement said.

“While reading the funeral oration of the deceased officer and soldiers, the Commanding Officers of 7 Guards Battalion Lt Col Salim Yusuf Hassan and Commanding Officer 176 Guards Battalion, Lt Col Joshuah Kolowale Adisa described the late Captain and Soldiers as thoroughly bred Infantrymen who were genuinely committed to their duties in defence of Nigeria and whose contribution and services would be greatly missed.

“They asked God to console the families left behind stressing that while the Brigade and the Nigerian Army mourns, the families should take solace in the fact that they have fought a just fight and their souls shall continue to rest with the lord till the resurrection morning.

“Highpoint of the event was the presentation of accoutrements by the representative of the Chief of Army Staff, Maj Gen James Alilu Ataguba to the next of kins of the deceased personnel and lowering of the remains of the fallen heroes.

There was also the blowing of the last post and gun salute to bid the departed heroes fair well

“The burial process started with Christian wake keep and funeral service held in honour of the fallen heroes at St John’s Military Church (Protestant) before the final Internment at the Guards Brigade Cemetery Maitama Abuja.

“The solemn ceremony was witnessed by senior officers of the Nigerian Army, Commanding Officers, Staff Officers of the Brigade, Bwari Area Council Chairman, Hon John Gabaya as well as family members and the barracks community.”

Continue Reading

News

Two More ISWAP Terrorists Linked To Owo Church Attack Arrested – DHQ

Published

on

Chief of Defence Staff, General Leo Irabor
Share

 

Two more Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists linked to the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo state, have been arrested.

Gunmen had on June 5 stormed the Catholic church, killing over 40 worshippers and injuring others.

The incident drew widespread condemnation, with President Muhammadu Buhari ordering security agencies to arrest the attackers.

On June 9, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, blamed the attack on ISWAP, but the claim was countered by Ondo state Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu.

Just yesterday, the Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, announced that the gunmen behind the attack on the church have been arrested.

But in a statement on Wednesday, the Director of Defence Information, Jimmy Akpor, said the two suspected ISWAP fighters were arrested through the collaborative effort of the military and the Department of State Services (DSS).

“Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022,” Akpor said.

“They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022.

“Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.

“Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of 4 of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, 2 additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, 9 August 2022.

“The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris.

“It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties.”

Continue Reading