The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, says the Nigeria Police will soon begin the recruitment of 20,000 junior police officers.
The IGP gave the hint on Tuesday evening, when he paid a working visit to Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State at the State Secretariat, Agodi in Ibadan.
Baba informed the governor that Nigeria Police has every intention to increase its strength in terms of junior police officers’ recruitment.
He said it had overcame all the issues that had been delaying the recruitment process, adding that President Muhammadu Buhari has given approval for the recruitment.
He assured the state government that every local government area would benefit from the recruitment, saying that the recruited officers would serve in their respective local government areas after training.
The IGP said that the recruitment exercise would not only expand the capacity of the force in combating crime, but also emboldened its community policing strategy.
Baba said that his working visit was to interact with the police personnel to boost their morale after the EndSARS protest.
He said the visit was to also engage some other stakeholders on the issue of community policing, which, according to him, is an adopted strategy policing in Nigeria.
“We have not just started now; it has started as far back as 2004, but it has not been effectively used by both government and members of the public.
He implored the governor to continue supporting and assisting the police.
Responding, Makinde informed the IGP that the Police Command in Oyo State had been trying its best, cooperating with the people of the state and all other security agencies.
The governor said that the police were hostile when Amotekun was established, “because they felt that Amotekun came on board to take up their jobs and responsibilities.
“But over these few months, with the leadership of police in the state, we have serious cooperation and the inter-agency rivalry has been reduced to barest minimum in the state.
“We also know that this is a challenging period for the country, the resources are dwindling, but we have challenges all over, especially the insurgency in the North-East, banditry in the North-West, kidnapping in the South and ethnic tension everywhere.
“So, we have to keep supporting the efforts of the Nigeria Police Force,” he said.
The governor used the opportunity of the visit to request for the establishment of another Mobile Force Squadron in Oyo Town, promising that his government would provide the basic infrastructure for its take off.
He said the 72 Squadron in Ago-Are, which was approved by the former IGP, was assisting in addressing security challenges in Oke-Ogun axis of the state. (NAN)
Amotekun Corps Arrest Suspects In Connection With Owo Church Attack
The Amotekun Corps in Ondo State have arrested a number of persons in connection with the massacre of worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.
The Commander of the Corp, Adetunji Adeleye made this disclosure while addressing newsmen in Akure, the state capital.
Adeleye, however, did not give the actual figure of the suspects arrested, but the corps leader was optimistic that everyone who was involved in the Owo Attack would be brought to book.
When contacted for confirmations, the Ondo State Police Command through its spokesperson, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, said the force is not aware of such and arrest.
Nevertheless, it is expected that the Amotekun Corps would hand the suspects over to the police for further investigations and onward prosecution.
This arrest is the latest development following the attack which left millions devastated across the country.
It comes barely 24 hours after President Muhammadu Buhari assured Nigerians that the attackers who he described as “cowards” behind recent assaults on churches in the country will be punished.
“As for the cowards, they will be punished for their crimes. We will bring them to justice.
Rest assured that the full might of Nigeria’s formidable security and intelligence forces are involved in that endeavor,” Buhari was quoted as saying in a statement by his media aide Garba Shehu.
“For now, I urge all Nigerians to come together in prayer-whether Christian, Muslim, or any of our great faiths- let us hold the victims and their families in our hearts and minds.
“Let us show the cowards who seek to divide us along religious lines that we will not be divided. Let us show them that Nigerians will continue to cherish what we share while respecting each other’s differences. Let us show them that Nigerians will never be bullied by cowards, extremists, or terrorists.”
According to President Buhari, the country’s religious freedom and diversity are what makes Nigeria great.
Owo Church killing: Ondo Govt Opens Account For Donations
The Ondo State Government has opened an account to receive donations from people who may wish to assist the victims of the terrorist attack in Owo, Ondo State.
This was made known on Wednesday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Ondo State, Richard Olatunde.
He commended the donations received so far while calling on well-meaning individuals and corporate bodies willing to assist the victims of the terrorist attack may do so in the following account:
ACCOUNT NAME- ODSG- OWO TERRORIST ATTACK RELIEF FUND.
ACCOUNT NO -1401203148
BANK: PROVIDUS BANK
Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has assured that the state government on its part will remain unshaken in committing its resources to the security of lives and property.
He noted that efforts are deepened to ensure that the survivors of the attack at various hospitals are given the best medical care.
Bandits Kill 32, Destroy Houses In Fresh Kaduna Attack
No fewer than 32 people have been reportedly killed by bandits in separate attacks on four communities within Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The affected communities are Ungwan Gamu, Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki and Maikori.
The police are yet to confirm the incident, but the District Head of Kufena, Titus Dauda , told Channels Television that the attacks occurred on Sunday and that 32 people lost their lives while a church and several houses were destroyed in the process.
He added that the bandits in their large numbers first attacked Dogon Noma in the early hours of Sunday morning, and killed several people mostly men , before proceeding to Ungwan Gamu and Maikori villages where they also killed people and burnt down houses.
The district head further disclosed that the victims have been laid to rest while the affected communities have been deserted by the residents due to fear of being attacked.
A resident of one of the communities, also claimed that a helicopter was seen shooting at the residents from the air, while the remaining bandits were on the ground to attack any fleeing residents.
However, a top security source countered the claim, saying that the military engaged the bandits both by ground and air, adding that this eventually forced the bandits to retreat.
5000 LAGOSIANS GET FREE HEALTH INSURANCE ON SANWO-OLU’S BIRTHDAY
ShareNo fewer than 5000 Lagosians are to be enrolled in the Ilera Eko Social Health Plan – courtesy of the...
Be Careful, Adamu warns Machina over Yobe North senatorial ticket
Share National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Adamu,has warned Bashir Machina, a party member from Yobe north,...
Amotekun Corps Arrest Suspects In Connection With Owo Church Attack
Share The Amotekun Corps in Ondo State have arrested a number of persons in connection with the massacre of worshippers...
Senator Ike Ekweremadu, Wife remanded as UK Court denies them bail
Share An Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court in the United Kingdom did not grant bail to Ike Ekweremadu, former Deputy Senate President,...
Conditional Cash Transfer: Lagos flags off distribution of ATM card, activation pins
Share Lagos State Government on Thursday flags off distribution of ATM cards and activation pins to beneficiaries in continuation of...