Cristiano Ronaldo is thrilled to score two goals for Manchester United against Newcastle at the Old Trafford on Saturday and says it’s a reminder to him that the stadium is renowned as the ‘Theatre of Dreams’.
Ronaldo marked his return to United in a breezy fashion by scoring two goals on 45 and 62 minutes to help the Red Devils thrash Newcastle 4-1. Bruno Fernandes and Jesse Lingard netted the other two goals for United on 80 and 92 minutes respectively. The visitor’s lone goal was scored by Javier Manquillo on 56 minutes.
Ronaldo took to his Instagram page after the game to express his inspiration playing once again in front of an amazing supporters inside the iconic Manchester United home ground – the Old Trafford.
Ronaldo celebrates his goal with Man United teammates
“My return to Old Trafford was just a brief reminder of why this stadium is known as the Theater of Dreams. For me, it has always been a magical place
where you can achieve everything you set your mind into,” Ronaldo message reads.
“Along with all my teammates and with the amazing support that we always get from the stands, we face the road ahead with confidence and optimism that well all be celebrating together in the end.
“Proud to be back at Man. United and playing in the Premier League once again, but above all, happy to help the team! Let’s go, Devils!”
2022 U-20 WWC: Netherlands Defeat Falconets
Two first half goals by the Netherlands earned them a 2-0 win against Nigeria’s Falconets in Sunday’s quarter-finals of the 2022 FIFA U-20 women’s World Cup in Costa Rica.
It is a first ever appearance in the semi-finals for the Netherlands at the U-20 women’s World Cup.
The last time the Falconets made it to the semi-finals was at the 2014 edition in Canada.
Victory against the Falconets means the Netherlands will take on Spain in the semi-finals.
FIFA Suspends Indian Football Federation Over Third-Party Influence
FIFA has suspended the Indian football federation meaning that the country will not currently be able to host the under-17 Women’s World Cup in October.
Football’s world governing body said its council unanimously decided to suspend the All India Football Federation “due to undue influence from third parties, which constitutes a serious violation of the FIFA statutes”.
Federations must be free from legal and political interference, according to FIFA rules.
The AIFF is in disarray and being run by administrators after former chief Praful Patel stayed in office beyond his term without fresh elections, which courts ruled invalid.
Fresh elections are to be held on August 28 and the poll process began last week after India’s Supreme Court approved a timeline prepared by the administrators.
India is due to host the U-17 tournament on October 11-30 but FIFA said on Monday that because of the suspension it “cannot currently be held in India as planned”.
FIFA said that it was “in constant constructive contact with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in India and is hopeful that a positive outcome to the case may still be achieved”.
Indian men’s and women’s national teams also cannot play junior or senior international games during the suspension.
Former men’s captain Bhaichung Bhutia called the suspension “very harsh”.
“At the same time I think it’s a great opportunity to get our system right,” he told Indian sports news outlet Sportstar.
“And very important that all the stakeholders — the federations, state associations, sport ministry — come together to get the system right and everybody work for the betterment of the sport.”
India captain Sunil Chhetri had recently advised his players “not pay too much attention” to the FIFA ban threat as the situation was out of their control.
“The suspension will be lifted once an order to set up a committee of administrators to assume the powers of the AIFF Executive Committee has been repealed and the AIFF administration regains full control of the AIFF’s daily affairs,” FIFA said.
Dollar Rain for Amusan, Brume, others from Sports Ministry for Commonwealth successes
Team Nigeria medallists and their coaches at the 2022 Commonwealth Games have received their cash rewards from the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development for their heroics in Birmingham.
Athletes who won gold medals received $5,000, silver medallist received $3,000, while bronze medallists got $2,000. Athletes who represented Nigeria in the 4 x100 relay received $15,000 for the team.
Amongst those who got rewarded are Women’s 100m Hurdles Champion, Tobi Amusan, 200m Silver medallist and long jump winner, Ese Brume among others.
The Coaches and officials also got rewarded by the ministry for their roles in Team Nigeria’s success.
The Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare ensured that three weeks camping allowance was paid to all athletes.
LAGOS EMERGES OVERALL BEST STATE IN DIGITAL INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DEVELOPMENT
Share … Bags Seven Awards Lagos State Government outshined other States of the Federation to emerge as the best overall...
SANWO-OLU AT CHATHAM HOUSE, CHARGES WORLD LEADERS ON SUSTAINABLE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM
Share …Says LASG has consistently increased budgetary allocation, efficiency in healthcare Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has appealed to...
Achieving SDG Will End Poverty, Hunger, And Insecurity In Nigeria – Buhari
Share President Muhammadu Buhari has stated that Nigeria is accelerating efforts to achieve the SDG by 2030 to guarantee an...
Appeal Court Declines Oyetola’s Request To Move Tribunal To Abuja
Share The Appeal Court in Abuja has rejected Governor Gboyega Oyetola’s request to relocate the sitting of the tribunal to...
PDP Crisis: Ayu Exploited Delegates, Manipulated Presidential Primary To Favoured Atiku – Wike
Share Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has disclosed that the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Iyorchia...