Mr Emmanuel Fadero, Unit Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ile-Ife, Osun, has urged motorists to always maintain the approved speed limit, especially during the raining season, to reduce carnage on the highway.
Fadero, an Assistant Corps Commander, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Ile-Ife.
He said that though FRSC had specific speed limits for respective road users on the highway, he, however, stressed the need for them to apply caution during the raining season.
The FRSC official noted that it was imperative for motorists to reduce their speed due to the prevailing road conditions.
According to him, driving when it is raining comes with a lot of challenges, thus requiring some measure of caution to avert road crashes.
He noted that the unfavourable weather during the rains could hamper visibility, adding, however, that a good driver must endeavour to have visibility ahead of him.
“Some drivers do not see very well when it is raining. Their visibility is not always as accurate as when they are driving during the dry season.
“During this period, potholes are covered with water from the erosion and are usually deeper during the rainy season.
“Potholes that are filled with sand during the dry season will be passable, but as it is raining, the sand will be flushed out, with the possibility of the potholes getting deeper.
“Water may cover the potholes and thus make it dangerous for the driver who is speeding.
“There are even time when branches of trees will fall on the highway and any driver who is not careful can run into such spots,” he said.
Fadero said that FRSC officials had been mandated to regularly check wipers of different categories of vehicles, adding that some vehicles had been apprehended in the process.
“We also have patrol operations on light sign violation (LSV). We check all the lightening systems of vehicles, such as the headlamp, parking light as well as single and double traffic indicators, among others.
“The patrol teams usually ensure that all the light, both static and directional, of all vehicles are functioning properly to provide enough illumination when it is raining.
“Public enlightenment programmes are equally carried out for both drivers and commuters,” he explained.
Fadero warned motorists against reckless driving, urging them to abide by the rules and regulations guiding driving.
He also enjoined road users to be cautious in order not to endanger other people’s lives. (NAN)
Amotekun Corps Arrest Suspects In Connection With Owo Church Attack
The Amotekun Corps in Ondo State have arrested a number of persons in connection with the massacre of worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.
The Commander of the Corp, Adetunji Adeleye made this disclosure while addressing newsmen in Akure, the state capital.
Adeleye, however, did not give the actual figure of the suspects arrested, but the corps leader was optimistic that everyone who was involved in the Owo Attack would be brought to book.
When contacted for confirmations, the Ondo State Police Command through its spokesperson, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, said the force is not aware of such and arrest.
Nevertheless, it is expected that the Amotekun Corps would hand the suspects over to the police for further investigations and onward prosecution.
This arrest is the latest development following the attack which left millions devastated across the country.
It comes barely 24 hours after President Muhammadu Buhari assured Nigerians that the attackers who he described as “cowards” behind recent assaults on churches in the country will be punished.
“As for the cowards, they will be punished for their crimes. We will bring them to justice.
Rest assured that the full might of Nigeria’s formidable security and intelligence forces are involved in that endeavor,” Buhari was quoted as saying in a statement by his media aide Garba Shehu.
“For now, I urge all Nigerians to come together in prayer-whether Christian, Muslim, or any of our great faiths- let us hold the victims and their families in our hearts and minds.
“Let us show the cowards who seek to divide us along religious lines that we will not be divided. Let us show them that Nigerians will continue to cherish what we share while respecting each other’s differences. Let us show them that Nigerians will never be bullied by cowards, extremists, or terrorists.”
According to President Buhari, the country’s religious freedom and diversity are what makes Nigeria great.
Owo Church killing: Ondo Govt Opens Account For Donations
The Ondo State Government has opened an account to receive donations from people who may wish to assist the victims of the terrorist attack in Owo, Ondo State.
This was made known on Wednesday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Ondo State, Richard Olatunde.
He commended the donations received so far while calling on well-meaning individuals and corporate bodies willing to assist the victims of the terrorist attack may do so in the following account:
ACCOUNT NAME- ODSG- OWO TERRORIST ATTACK RELIEF FUND.
ACCOUNT NO -1401203148
BANK: PROVIDUS BANK
Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has assured that the state government on its part will remain unshaken in committing its resources to the security of lives and property.
He noted that efforts are deepened to ensure that the survivors of the attack at various hospitals are given the best medical care.
Bandits Kill 32, Destroy Houses In Fresh Kaduna Attack
No fewer than 32 people have been reportedly killed by bandits in separate attacks on four communities within Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The affected communities are Ungwan Gamu, Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki and Maikori.
The police are yet to confirm the incident, but the District Head of Kufena, Titus Dauda , told Channels Television that the attacks occurred on Sunday and that 32 people lost their lives while a church and several houses were destroyed in the process.
He added that the bandits in their large numbers first attacked Dogon Noma in the early hours of Sunday morning, and killed several people mostly men , before proceeding to Ungwan Gamu and Maikori villages where they also killed people and burnt down houses.
The district head further disclosed that the victims have been laid to rest while the affected communities have been deserted by the residents due to fear of being attacked.
A resident of one of the communities, also claimed that a helicopter was seen shooting at the residents from the air, while the remaining bandits were on the ground to attack any fleeing residents.
However, a top security source countered the claim, saying that the military engaged the bandits both by ground and air, adding that this eventually forced the bandits to retreat.
Why Wike will not support Atiku – Fayose
Share Former Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose, has explained why he believes Nyesom Wike will never support the presidential candidate...
Funke Akindele’s Husband Announces Marriage Crash
Share JJC Skillz, the husband of actress, Funke Akindele-Bello, has announced that their marriage is over. In a post on...
Senate adjourns for Sallah break, to resume July 19
Share The Senate, on Wednesday, adjourned plenary to enable it proceed on the Sallah break. The Senate President, Ahmad Lawan,...
Presidency lauds Oyetola for prioritising Osun people’s health
ShareAs Oyetola inaugurates multiple state-of-the-art health facilities in Osun …says building healthy population nonnegotiable The Presidency, on Wednesday, lauded Governor...
Senate confirms Buhari’s seven nominees as minister-designates
ShareThe Senate, on Wednesday, screened and confirmed the seven ministerial nominees whose names were sent last week by President Muhammadu...