Connect with us

Uncategorized

Nigeria reports 566 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths

Published

on

NCDC Coronavirus
NCDC Coronavirus
Share

The Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) on Thursday reported 566 additional COVID-19 infections due to a surge in the spread of the Delta variant in the country.

The NCDC, which made this known via its website on Friday Morning, also stated that 11 COVID-19 related deaths were recorded as of Aug. 5.

According to the NCDC, the 566 new infections were recorded across 11 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

It stated that Lagos State, the country’s epicentre, reported 283 cases while Akwa Ibom followed with 88 cases and Oyo State ranked third with 62 cases.

Rivers recorded 62 cases to rank fourth while the FCT reported 18 new infections.

Ogun State and Ekiti reported 17 and 13 Infections each, while Kwara recorded 11, even as Plateau and Zamfara reported six and three, with Kaduna and Kastina registering two cases each, respectively.

It added that five states: Edo, Nasarawa, Ondo, Osun and Sokoto reported zero cases.

The Public health agency noted that the figure raised the country’s total infections to 176,577, while the fatality toll now stands at 2,178.

The News Agency Of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the new infections indicate an increase from the 747 cases announced a day earlier.

The figure is the highest daily infection recorded in the country for more than five months.

The country’s COVID-19 infections have been rising over the past weeks since the discovery of the Delta strain, bringing fears of renewed pressure on the health system.

The NCDC stated that 125 people had recovered and were discharged from various isolation centres in the country on Thursday.

It said that till date, 165,333 recoveries had been recorded nationwide in 36 states and the FCT.

The agency added that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level 2, continued to coordinate the national response activities.

The health institute said the country had also tested more than 2.5 million samples for the virus out the country’s estimated 200 million population.

The NCDC said the country’s COVID-19 average positive test rate was six per cent.

It stated that the country’s active cases stood 9, 033, as of Aug. 5.

Meanwhile, the agency said the country’s infections in week 30, increased to 3,218 from 1,579 reported in week 29.

These were reported in 28 states and the FCT.

It stated that in week 30, the number of discharged cases increased to 218 from 90 in week 29. These were also reported in 16 states and the FCT.

The NCDC said there were 17 deaths reported in the last one week. Noting that cumulatively, since the outbreak began in week 9, 2020, 174,315 cases and 2,149 deaths were reported with a case fatality rate of 1.2  per cent.

It said in week 30, the number of in-bound international travellers tested stood at 3,702 of which 155 were positive, compared to 74, out of 2,836 samples tested from week 29.

It added in week 30, the number of out-bound international travellers tested was 5,529 of which 207 were positive, compared to 141 out of 3,376 samples tested from week 29. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Wike Rejects ‘Interim Govt’, Says Plot To Scuttle Elections Will Fail

Published

on

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike
Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike
Share

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike has warned cabals reportedly trying to scuttle the February 25 and March 11 general elections to desist from the plot, saying no to any form of ‘interim government’.

“Let nobody try to scuttle this election,” the governor warned on Saturday during a campaign in the Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area of the state.

Wike’s comment comes barely 24 hours after the flag bearer of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu campaigned in Ekiti and alleged a sinister plot to cause a crisis that will lead to the postponement and disruption of the February 25 election.

Wike, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, also berated the Federal Government over the scarcity of three newly redesigned naira notes, saying he believes that President Muhammadu Buhari was misled to approve the policy.

“This policy (naira redesign) is targeted at making people angry so that they will demonstrate and riot and then the election be postponed. Then, they will introduce an interim government,” he said.

“No matter the provocation, don’t protest,” Wike cautioned the people of the state. “This election will hold. This election is by the PVCs. This election is not an election of cabals; it is an election of Nigerians.”

Interim Government first popped up in Nigeria’s history about three decades ago when then Head of State, Ibrahim Babangida annulled the June 12, 1993 presidential election presumably won by the late philanthropist, Moshood Kashimawo Olawale (MKO) Abiola. The late Ernest Shonekan subsequently emerged the head of the Interim National Government between January and August 1993.

‘Enemies Of Nigeria’

The former minister said those supporting the currency redesign amid the electioneering process are the enemies of the country.

He also knocked the Federal Government over the scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) popularly known as petrol.

“You said you want to remove the old currency but we have not seen the new ones. Can you buy fuel? Can you buy anything to eat again? Now, tell me, would you vote for anybody who loves Nigeria and is running for election, who supports this CBN policy?” he asked party supporters decked up in party paraphernalia, many of whom chorused “No”.

“Those supporting this kind of thing are enemies of Nigeria. I believe that they did not tell President Buhari the correct thing because me and the President are going the same time – May 29, the same time, nobody will stay one day more the other.

The governor, however, said he believes that the President will take steps to assuage the pain of the masses.

“So, I know the man will like to finish well and go and I won’t see what is bad and not advise him. Those plotting all these things are those who don’t like him. But I believe he will hear the cries of Nigerians,” he said.

The PDP stalwart further said the policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is not to fight corruption “What corruption are you fighting when you have three months more?” he queried.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lekki Seaport will generate thousand jobs our citizens – Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Share

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state has assured that the Lekki Deep Seaport will generate thousands of jobs for the citizens.

Sanwo-Olu gave this assurance while giving his address at the project commissioning on Monday.

He said, “The port will generate thousands of jobs to our citizens. We thank you Mr President for your support on this project.

“I’m indeed happy and excited about this project,” the governor added.

Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari has arrived Lagos to officially commission the $1.5 billion Lekki Deep Seaport, a project, which has been described as first in Nigeria.

Buhari arrived at the Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos on Monday at 3:33pm.

The president will equally commission other projects built by the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Some of the projects slated for commissioning are the 18.75km six-lane rigid-pavement Eleko Junction to Epe Expressway; the John Randle Centre for Yoruba Culture and History; and the MRS Lubricant Factory in Apapa

Buhari, on arrival with the Lagos State Governor, Bababjide Sanwo-Olu, was conducted round the port’s 1.5km long main.

The seaport’s spanning over 600 meters, is enough for a vessel of up to 16,000 standard containers (TEU). The approach channel is 11 km long.

The Lekki Deep Seaport made history last year as it received the first-ever vessel (Zhen Hua 28) to berth at the port.

The port has three terminals: the container terminal, the liquid terminal, and the dry bulk terminal.

According to the promoters, the container terminal has an initial draft of 14 metres, with the potential for further dredging to 16.5 metres. The terminal is able to handle 2.5 million 20-foot standard containers per year.

The deep-sea port of Lekki is the first port in Nigeria with ship-to-shore cranes. It has three of these container gantry cranes; they belong to the “Super-post-Panamax” group – this means that they can reach and unload the rearmost row of containers even if the container ship is wider than the Panama Canal (49m or 160ft maximum boat beam).

The STS cranes have a fixed rail at the quayside. They can lift 65 tons in twin-lift mode, 50 tons in single-lift mode or 85 tons under a hook.

The port’s computerised system will allow container identification and clearance from the office, and human interaction will be minimal in the physical operations

When phase 2 is completed, the deep sea port will have three liquid berths. The liquid cargo terminal will handle vessels up to 45,000 DWT (dead weight tonnage) and can expand to reach a capacity of 160,000 DWT.

Liquids (like petrol or diesel) will be handled at a tank farm near the port. The docking area is equipped with loading arms. It is also connected by pipelines along the breakwater.

The bulk terminal with an available quay length of 300m can accommodate a Panamax class vessel (75,000 DWT)

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

I’ll end ASUU strikes, Tinubu vows at Yobe rally

Published

on

APC Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
APC Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Share

All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has vowed to prevent incessant strikes by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) if he is elected.

He also promised to provide loans for university students.

Tinubu spoke at the APC presidential campaign rally in Damaturu, Yobe State.

He pledged to make education more stable

The former Lagos State governor said he would provide agro credit facilities and make the Northeast region an export zone.

He said: “I will extend the credit facilities to university students as loans

“I will make our education system, especially the university education, more stable by dealing with the problem of ASUU strikes.

“There will be no more strikes in our universities.”

 

 

 

Continue Reading