Gov. Abubakar Sani-Bello of Niger, on Tuesday, counselled 161 special vigilante corps on the need to exercise caution in their anti-banditry operations to enable them prevail.
Sani-Bello gave the advice while inaugurating the corps at the Niger Police Command Headquarters, in Minna, to complement the efforts of security agencies in the state.
The governor also provided operational vehicles and motorcycles to the corps at the occasion, to motivate them to succeed in their assignments.
He said that the vehicles and motorcycles were to assist them to coordinate security operations within Minna metropolis.
“I am happy with this development; the police have been working tirelessly day and night while battling with the bandits.
“While we are battling with the bandits, a new dimension in Minna came up, where some criminal elements are going about harassing students and people going about their legitimate businesses. This new dimension is unacceptable.
“After reviewing the situation, the police commissioner and the commissioner for local government came up with this integrated security outfit,” Sani-Bello said.
He said the state government would not allow bandits or groups of criminals to terrorise students and farmers in the state, while working to ensure a peaceful state where citizens would go about their legitimate businesses freely without fear.
He called on the corps to proceed with caution in their work, by protecting themselves against the criminals, who are both armed and dangerous.
Sani-Bello called on parents to caution their children and wards against getting involved in criminal activities.
Earlier, the Commissioner of Police, Mr Adamu Usman, noted that the special vigilante group comprise nine voluntary security outfits trained and integrated into the vigilante group.
He said that they are to specifically complement the efforts of security agencies in the state and also address cases of youth restiveness within Minna.
“This group will be incorporated into the vigilante, to assist in tackling criminals and will be supervised by the police.”
Alhaji Abdulmalik Sarkin-Daji, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, stated that each of the vigilantes had been issued with certificates of participation. (NAN)
Amotekun Corps Arrest Suspects In Connection With Owo Church Attack
The Amotekun Corps in Ondo State have arrested a number of persons in connection with the massacre of worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State.
The Commander of the Corp, Adetunji Adeleye made this disclosure while addressing newsmen in Akure, the state capital.
Adeleye, however, did not give the actual figure of the suspects arrested, but the corps leader was optimistic that everyone who was involved in the Owo Attack would be brought to book.
When contacted for confirmations, the Ondo State Police Command through its spokesperson, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, said the force is not aware of such and arrest.
Nevertheless, it is expected that the Amotekun Corps would hand the suspects over to the police for further investigations and onward prosecution.
This arrest is the latest development following the attack which left millions devastated across the country.
It comes barely 24 hours after President Muhammadu Buhari assured Nigerians that the attackers who he described as “cowards” behind recent assaults on churches in the country will be punished.
“As for the cowards, they will be punished for their crimes. We will bring them to justice.
Rest assured that the full might of Nigeria’s formidable security and intelligence forces are involved in that endeavor,” Buhari was quoted as saying in a statement by his media aide Garba Shehu.
“For now, I urge all Nigerians to come together in prayer-whether Christian, Muslim, or any of our great faiths- let us hold the victims and their families in our hearts and minds.
“Let us show the cowards who seek to divide us along religious lines that we will not be divided. Let us show them that Nigerians will continue to cherish what we share while respecting each other’s differences. Let us show them that Nigerians will never be bullied by cowards, extremists, or terrorists.”
According to President Buhari, the country’s religious freedom and diversity are what makes Nigeria great.
Owo Church killing: Ondo Govt Opens Account For Donations
The Ondo State Government has opened an account to receive donations from people who may wish to assist the victims of the terrorist attack in Owo, Ondo State.
This was made known on Wednesday by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Ondo State, Richard Olatunde.
He commended the donations received so far while calling on well-meaning individuals and corporate bodies willing to assist the victims of the terrorist attack may do so in the following account:
ACCOUNT NAME- ODSG- OWO TERRORIST ATTACK RELIEF FUND.
ACCOUNT NO -1401203148
BANK: PROVIDUS BANK
Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has assured that the state government on its part will remain unshaken in committing its resources to the security of lives and property.
He noted that efforts are deepened to ensure that the survivors of the attack at various hospitals are given the best medical care.
Bandits Kill 32, Destroy Houses In Fresh Kaduna Attack
No fewer than 32 people have been reportedly killed by bandits in separate attacks on four communities within Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The affected communities are Ungwan Gamu, Dogon Noma, Ungwan Sarki and Maikori.
The police are yet to confirm the incident, but the District Head of Kufena, Titus Dauda , told Channels Television that the attacks occurred on Sunday and that 32 people lost their lives while a church and several houses were destroyed in the process.
He added that the bandits in their large numbers first attacked Dogon Noma in the early hours of Sunday morning, and killed several people mostly men , before proceeding to Ungwan Gamu and Maikori villages where they also killed people and burnt down houses.
The district head further disclosed that the victims have been laid to rest while the affected communities have been deserted by the residents due to fear of being attacked.
A resident of one of the communities, also claimed that a helicopter was seen shooting at the residents from the air, while the remaining bandits were on the ground to attack any fleeing residents.
However, a top security source countered the claim, saying that the military engaged the bandits both by ground and air, adding that this eventually forced the bandits to retreat.
Osun 2022 Guber Poll: Ogunsua, Apetumodu, others declare support for Gov Oyetola
Share ..over 300 PDP loyalists defect to APC in Modakeke …as Governor’s re-election campaign trail moves to Modakeke, Ife-North LGA...
Tinubu off to France
Share Presidential Candidate and National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asíwájú Bola Ahmed Tinubu, travelled out of the country...
Justice Olukayode Ariwoola Takes Oath Of Office As Acting CJN
Share Justice Olukayode Ariwoola of the Supreme Court on Monday took the judicial oath of office as the acting Chief...
Justice Tanko Muhammad Resigns As CJN
Share The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, has resigned. Reports have it that Justice Muhammad resigned on Sunday...
Christian Pilgrimage Not Wasteful – FCT-CPWB Boss
ShareThe Director, FCT Christian Pilgrims Welfare Board, Dabara Audu has said that those describing the Christian Pilgrimage to the Holy...